Bulk Edit a subset of issues that are returned in a filter?

Deleted user February 2, 2021

How can I bulk edit issues a subset of issues that are returned from a query in an advanced filter?  If I visit the backlog view I am able to select multiple individual issues by holding the CTRL key and then right-clicking to find a bulk edit option in the menu that appears.   I cannot seem to make this same functionality work when working from a list of issues returned from a filter.  

2 answers

3 votes
Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2021

Hi @[deleted] 

Welcome to the community. To bulk change after doing a filter search, or any search for that matter you would click the 3 dots in the top right. If you do not see the option then you should ask your admin to provide you global permissions or ask them to do it depending on why they disabled it for you.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-core-cloud/docs/edit-multiple-issues-at-the-same-time/

Best,
Clark

Deleted user February 4, 2021

Thank you, Clark.  I confirm that I do see a way to bulk edit all issues returned in a filter per your guidance above about the 3 dots in upper right.  I should have been more explicit in my question, however.   I am interested in being able to select a subset of the issues returned from a filter (either SHIFT key and grabbing a group of them, or one-by-one selection with a CTRL key) and then bulk editing only the sub-group of issues from the list.   This is currently possible from the backlog, but not from a list of issues returned from a filter query.  Thank you. 

Steve Partlow June 3, 2022

Clark's answer and the link provided are correct and do what you want, but are just not obvious. You must to select to bulk change "all x item(s)" and THEN it let's you select which ones to actually change. That text is rather confusing but works well.

The help text linked above does say "Select the issues you'd like to perform the bulk operation on, and select Next." but could certainly be clearer. Perhaps a image of the selection page would help people who too hastily read the page and missed that feature like pmarvil and myself.

0 votes
Kate Kabir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2021

Hi Pmarvil

Thank you for your question.

I can confirm that you cannot run bulk change actions directly on the enhanced search page due to the fact that we run the queries in a sandbox environment to prevent the queries causing performance impacts to your Jira Instance.

However, I can confirm that whenever you save a filter on the Enhanced Search page that this creates a separate filter with the same name in the Standard Jira Filter View which you can view to see the issues returned by the enhanced search filter and this filter will show a list of the issue keys for the issues returned by the Enhanced Search filter.

You will then be able to view this filter in the Standard Jira Filter View and will then be able to use the built-in Bulk Change functionality which Jira provides out of the box as described in the documentation page here in order to update the fix versions for the issues returned to the version that you require.

Using the built-in Jira bulk change functionality would be the recommended way to update the issues returned via an Enhanced Search query.

I can confirm that as for your question on tutorials for how to use the script console that you can refer to the example scripts which we have located inside of the documentation page here or by clicking on any of the links next to the Examples text below the code box as these will give you some sample scripts which you can start running in order to learn how to perform common actions inside of Jira.

Thank you

Kind Regards

Kate

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events