Bulk Change Username

Dev_toolssupport April 3, 2019

Hi,

Jira 7.13.1 is being used with delegated LDAP.  Which I understand, syncs with LDAP when user log into Jira.

Jira LDAP Directory settings are as below.

User Name Attribute: employeenumber
User Object Filter: (&(employeenumber=*))
User Name RDN Attribute:employeenumber
User Unique ID Attribute: uid

User log into Jira with their employeenumber i.e '123456'.

This 'employeenumber' is the field from LDAP server.

There is another field 'uid' which stores 'u123456'.  uid is also a unique id in LDAP. server.

We would like to change the username from '123456' to 'u123456'. That is we need make change from employeenumber to uid.

We made below change in Jira LDAP Directory settings

User Name Attribute: uid
User Object Filter: (&(uid=*))
User Name RDN Attribute: uid
User Unique ID Attribute: uid

User was asked to login with 'u123456' and he was successfully able to login. In database I could see app_user, cwd_use and cwd_membership table updated.

Now, I want to make this change for all users. Hence the obvious solution that appeared to me was to change in database the value of 'External_id' in table cwd_user from (null or 123456) to 'u123456' and restart Jira.

I did it for one record (111111) and asked another user to login with 'u111111', but this time Jira considered him as a new user and started creating its profile.

So, as a next solution, I updated all 3 tables app-user, cwd_user and cwd_membership, replaced '111111' with 'u111111'.

Restarted Jira and asked user to login with u111111, this time, Jira took long time on login page and reported the error 'Sorry username and password is incorrect'

Can you please help me what was wrong with my approach and how it can be corrected?

Thanks,

Imran

0 answers

Suggest an answer