Bug report "-1 days in this column"

joewestcott August 26, 2020

Hi folks, in Jira Software, when I first add an item to a column, the board shows "-1 days in this column".

The board also shows a large numbers of dots to indicate how many days have passed.

If the viewer refreshes their browser tab, then the number of days is correct again.

It's a minor UX problem that causes alarm and confusion sometimes.

Is there a way to report this bug to Atlassian?

jira-negative-days-in-this-column.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2020

Hi Joe,

You can report a bug here:

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

joewestcott August 27, 2020

Thank you, John. Done!

Like John Funk likes this
joewestcott August 27, 2020

For reference, this is now support issue # GHS-198616.

I see that Atlassian support tickets are not public, so this is just a note that the support ticket exists, in case anyone else comes across this issue.

Like John Funk likes this
Robert April 4, 2023

@joewestcott Hi!

how did this story end? they created a bug report?
I have the same issue on the latest version.

joewestcott April 4, 2023

Hey @Robert , it seems that “days in this column” is based on the local client time rather than the server/host time.

So the fix in my case was to make sure that the local client time was correct and not off by a few seconds.

In my case, my computer was not syncing with a time service like the ones that Microsoft and Apple provide, and the local time had drifted by a few seconds.

You can also vote for a feature request to change this behavior and calculate “days in this column” based on the server time, to ensure that everyone experiences the time calculations in a more reliable way:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-20704

Like Robert likes this
Robert April 4, 2023

@joewestcott Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

Suggest an answer