Branches, Issues and Merges

Aguinaldo Aranda November 24, 2020

Hello everyone, everything good?

We use Jira and Bitcucket, we create our branches through the issue screen. So, we have the relationship between an issue and the branches. I need to know when an issue (which generated a branch) is already part of another branch, that is, if it was merged with another branch. For example, I have the DEV, TST and HML branches. Then I create the issue "Add new screen XXX", based on this issue, I create the branch, through the issue screen itself. So after finishing the job, I merge with DEV and TST. I would like to know if I have how through Jira, on the issue screen, if the branch created "Add new screen XXX", is already part of the branches DEV, TST and HML.

Can anyone help?

NOTE: Sorry for the English.

1 answer

0 votes
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 8, 2020

Hello @Aguinaldo Aranda ,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I am not sure I understand correctly what you are asking.

From what I can read:

1. You have 3 branches DEV, TST and HML
  2. in Jira you create the issue ABC-123 having summary "Add new screen XXX"
  3. In the issue view you click on "create new branch". This will create a branch having ABC-123 in its name. Something like ABC-123-add-new-screen-XXX
  4. Once done, you merge the new branch (ABC-123-add-new-screen-XXX) into DEV and TST
  5. At this point I am not sure what the question is. Maybe want to know what you will see now in Jira issue view (in the development panel)? Can you either confirm or provide more details? 

Please review above text and let me know.

Cheers,
Dario

Aguinaldo Aranda December 8, 2020

Hello @Dario B, how are you?

Thanks for the reply, the flow you described was exactly what I meant.

Regarding item 5, considering the example we talked about, I would like to see on some screen that the new branch (ABC-123-a dd-new-screen-XXX) is in DEV and TST and is NOT in HML. Preferably, I can see this information on the issue screen.

Thanks for helping.

Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 9, 2020

Thanks for clarifying @Aguinaldo Aranda ,

As already mentioned a branch is displayed in the development panel of an issue only if it has the issue key in its name. 

However, if you create 2 pull requests to merge the branch ABC-123-a dd-new-screen-XXX into DEV and TST, then you will be able to see this information in the development panel of the issue.

For more details on this please see:

Cheers,
Dario

Aguinaldo Aranda December 9, 2020

Hello @Dario B , thanks again for helping.

I have been made aware of what you said a little after you posted the question.

In a way it solves the problem, but I still need to click on each of the "pull requests" to find out which branch it was sent to.

As in the screen below for example:

Screenshot_1.png

In this example, I merged the same branch into two other branches, but to find out which branch I merged to, I need to click on each record, and on the "pull request" screen, see which branch it went to:

Screenshot_2.png

I wish I could know which branch it went to without having to click the link, as in the sketch below:

Screenshot_4.png

Dario B
Atlassian Team
December 11, 2020

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation and the screenshots @Aguinaldo Aranda !

As a quick workaround I'd suggest to add the information about the branch you are merging into, in the title of the pull request, like for example:

Pull-request-mergejpg.jpg

For the rest, since this functionality is not currently available, I have opened the below feature request on your behalf:

You may want to vote and watch the above feature request so that you will get notified in case of any update. The  feature will be addressed according to the Implementation of New Features Policy.

Cheers,
Dario

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events