Branch created automation trigger only fires if branch contains JIRA reference?

Iain Johnson December 9, 2022

I'm trying to use automation to create a JIRA release version on Branch created starts with a certain string. It appears the Branch created trigger only fires when a branch name contains a jira ticket reference which is useless in this situation. Is that really a limitation of this trigger or am I doing something wrong?

We follow gitflow naming conventions which means release candidate branches are in the format release/xxx. 

You can see the trigger fires and logs correctly when a branch starts with a JIRA ref, screen below.

broken_tiggerpng.png

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2022

Hi @Iain Johnson and welcome to the community,

to catch a branch created trigger natively the answer (from my point of view) is: yes, the branch needs to have a jira reference. This is the only connection between gut and jira. Otherwise the branch is created within your git system but how should jira detect when the link (via issue key) is not set? Jira does not observe any git system by itself but the connection between git and jira can be done via issue key (in commits and/or branch name).

Besides that I could imagine that your use case could be done with a kinda more complex solution like sending a webhook from your git system and grabbing this webhook via a automation rule.

Best
Stefan

Iain Johnson December 9, 2022

Thanks Stefan, I've gone with a webhook solution. I guess I was assuming the GitHub/Jira integration allowed jira to be made aware of pretty much anything happening in GH regardless of whether it related to an issue or not. The trigger description certainly implies it will be pick up any branch creation, not just one with a jira ref. 

We live and learn.

Like Stefan Salzl likes this
1 vote
Dhiren Notani_Exalate_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2022

Hi @Iain Johnson ,

Did you manage to get this one working?

Thanks, Dhiren

0 votes
Diana_Architect_ZigiWave
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 13, 2022

@Iain Johnson , hi! Glad to hear you've resolved your issue. In case you decide you try an alternative approach in the future (like a 3rd party option), check out ZigiOps here at Atlassian marketplace. It connects the two systems bi-directionally and syncs them instantly. No additional coding. If you want to see it in action, feel free to book an explanatory demo - just for further clarification.

BR, Diana (ZigiWave team)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events