Board epic dragging and presentation of all sub tasks in board

Hagit Michaeli Weintraub May 6, 2023

Hello everyone!

I have created a new board in Work Management, created Epics and new features underneath it, but I'm having struggles with 3 issues:

1. Is there a way to move an Epic from one column to another and have all the sub tasks underneath it move as well? 

2. How can I present the Epics on the board but having the option to expand the epic and present the subtasks underneath it and not separately from the Epic?

3. Is there a way (maybe creating a rule) of changing one of the objects (Epic or subtask) priority and the parent/child to be changed accordingly?

Thanks a million!

Hagit

2 answers

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2023

Hello @Hagit Michaeli Weintraub 

Welcome to the community.

The default issue hierarchy in Jira is

Epic
|-- standard issue types
|-- subtask issue types

From your reply to Nic I understand that you meant the issues at the "standard issue types" level when you used the word "subtask.".

In a Work Management project, each Epic will show as a card on the board. Each issue that is a type within the "standard issue types" group will show as a card on the board.

Regarding your question #2, unfortunately you cannot create a collapsible/expandable group in the board so that the child issues under an Epic will show grouped under that Epic.. This is simply not a display option that is available.

Regarding your question #1, it would be possible to create an Automation Rule to automate changing the status of the child issues to match their parent Epic each time the status of the parent Epic changes. Would you always want to keep the Epic and child issues synchronized so they all remain in the same status? Or would you want to be able to move child issues farther to the right than their parent Epic?

Regarding your question #3, it would be possible to create an Automation Rule to automate keeping the Priority field of the parent Epic and child issues synchronized also.

Back to your question #2, issue in the "subtask issue types" category do show as a collapsed group under their parent issue rather than as separate cards, regardless of the status of the subtasks. However, the Status assigned to each subtask and its parent issues is not automatically synchronized.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2023

Do you mean sub-tasks of the Epic, or issues (stories) linked to the epic as part of it?

Hagit Michaeli Weintraub May 7, 2023

I mean features linked to the Epic. 

For example: Sports will be my Epic, I am linking to it features with the topics "Baseball", Basketball", " Soccer"...

I want the Epic to gather all features related to the Epic subject. 

What is the correct relation in order for me to be able to do all the 3 above? \

Thanks again...

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events