It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Board Filter - hiding items with a specific label

I am trying to hide certain items from my backlog by using the Labels field and marking them as "Archived". 

Filter: project = ProjectA AND labels != Archived ORDER BY Rank ASC

When I update my board filter so that it doesn't include items with this label, it seems to also hide any item that does not have any label (i.e. it is only showing items that have a label, as long as the label isn't "Archived"). 

Is there a way to configure the filter so that it hides items with a specific label but still shows items that do not have any label?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Yes, this is an odd one.  It is logically correct, but most humans do not tend to think this way naturally and when you first run into it, it does seem odd.

For any field that could have multiple selections, "is not X" means what it says - exclude things that have X in their list.  But if the list is empty, there's nothing to check, so it can't check that X is in the list.

Humans instinctively see an empty list as automatically not containing X, so we expect to see the empty ones returned as well, but actually, the question is not answerable, so Jira has to ignore it.

TLDR:  The fix is to explicitly state it:

Filter: project = ProjectA AND (labels != Archived or labels is empty) ORDER BY Rank ASC

Ah yes I should have thought of that.

Thank you for the quick response!

That doesn't work for me, because there are multiple labels and I just want to hide 'archived'.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

How to create Jira issus from Excel file?

When to use CSV importer When managing your processes in Jira, there are many occasions where you need to create a lot of tasks. Creating them one by one will cost you a lot of time and effort and i...

1,769 views 10 18
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you