Board Estimation Statistic vs. native Story point estimate field

Gabriela Molitoriszova June 22, 2022

Hi!

We are using Jira Software Cloud and I have a question about the native Jira custom field called Story point estimate and why it's not possible to set it up as Estimation Statistics for a Scrum board of company-managed project? 

Story point estimate field is configured to be available for all issue types in all projects. Type of this field is not the number field but it says Type = Story point estimate value and this field is locked. It's possible to set this field for a screen but it's not possible to set it as Estimation Statistic (field won't appear in the drop-down, my guess is because it's not a number field)

The official documentation between Cloud and DC version is different but none of them mention the native field.

What Story point estimate represents? Where is it used? Do I really need to create a custom number field called Story points and use that for my scrum boards?

Thanks for any clues!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2022

Hi @Gabriela Molitoriszova 

Company-managed projects (CMP) use the Story points field and Team-managed projects (TMP) use the Story point estimate field.  These represent the same thing (a relative sizing measure), but cannot be used interchangeably between types of projects.

I am guessing you are using a CMP with a board filter spanning both CMP and TMP projects.  Is that correct?

Kind regards,
Bill

Gabriela Molitoriszova June 23, 2022

Hi @Bill Sheboy 

Thanks! This is what I was looking for, my main confusion was about the type of custom field - as one is a type "story point value" and the second is a regular "number field" and the fact that the Story point estimate field is locked in configuration but Story points field is not. I'm missing this piece of information in the official documentation. 

We are not using TMP at all, we have only CMP, thus my confusion I guess.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2022

Those two fields/design choice cause quite a bit of confusion, so we are not alone on that point  :^)

Alex Lee July 12, 2022

Hello @Bill Sheboy / @Gabriela Molitoriszova ,

I am having a similar issue where we are using CMP for all our projects. I have configured the screen to display both story point estimate and story points, but only story point estimate shows up on the issue screen.

Our problem is somewhat similar where I cannot get the story point on the scrum boards, We've made a workaround by displaying the story point estimate field in the story card, however, this wouldn't help the estimate to calculate the points for us for a sprint so it's not very helpful for the team.

Wondering if you had a solution on that?

Much appreciated.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 13, 2022

Hi, Alex -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

CMP projects do not use the Story Point Estimate field, so I would advise not adding that to any screens for them.  In the UX, Jira calls both fields "Story Points", and so that is clearly going to confuse matters.

After you remove that unused field, would you please clarify what you mean by "I cannot get the story point on the scrum boards"?  Perhaps provide a screen image if that helps to explain the symptom you are seeing.  Thanks!

Kind regards,
Bill

Alex Lee July 26, 2022

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply! I've read some post from the community post and understand that Story Point Estimate is not used in CMP. However, when I try to setup my screen, only Story Point estimate is showing up but not Story Point.

Eventually I found that the Story Point in it's default context (under field configuration) only shows up for "story" type of issue and we were not using the name "story" as our issue type. Finally got this show up by setting the context of the Story Point field and extending it to other issue type.

Hoping someone would find this reply useful :)

Cheers

Alex

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events