Block Automation Rule execution on REST API Request

Grzegorz Ostrowski June 17, 2022

Is there any possibility to block Automation rule execution after REST Request?
I would like to heave possibility to update Jira through REST without triggering automation rules.
Is thos possible? Anybody knows how to do it?

1 answer

1 vote
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2022

Ηι @Grzegorz Ostrowski ,

I don't think this is possible. I haven't done it and from what I know from this issue https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-22713, there is also an open request for having REST API to control JA.

My problem is that I would like to have option in rest request like "notifyUsers" in issue update request. Option to disable automation rule trigger only for this request change. I dont think that this ticket covers this scenario. But thanks for answer.

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2022

@Grzegorz Ostrowski the ticket I provided covers the "disable automation rule" you are talking about.

Yes, I see this, but it is about disabling autmation rule permamently, not only for one request. This ticket is about ability to control Enabled switch in automation rule from rest API. Ok this could be usefull in my case but there is tiny posibility that when I disable the rules to execute my other request some user in Jira will do somethin what should trigger automation rule.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2022

Hi @Grzegorz Ostrowski 

Adding onto Alex's answer: what problem are you trying to solve by doing this?

Knowing that information may help the community to offer suggestions.  For example, perhaps instead your rule could have a trigger/condition based upon the presence of issue data, and so eliminate the need to disable a rule: instead just change the issue data.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like James Navin likes this
Grzegorz Ostrowski June 21, 2022

I am writing integration between Jira and ERP system. I am using automation rules to send data to ERP on worklog, issue change/add. But when I send data on issue/worklog change from ERP to Jira it triggers automation rules. Sometimes automation rule is triggered before i get response on my request to Jira. For me it is difficult to handle this scenarios. Maybe there is other possibility to pass data to Jira without triggering automation rules. Of course there are webhooks, but they will be triggered by worklog/issue update through rest too.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2022

Without seeing your specific automation rule, I wonder if you can alter the trigger or perhaps add a condition on the {{initiator}} user to prevent the rule processing under those conditions.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events