• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

BigPicture Gantt is not updated with Task's Actual Start/Finish Date

I am fairly new to BigPicture.

I created a bunch of JIRA Tasks and arranged them using BigPicture Gantt chart according to my Planned Start/Finish Dates (01/08/2021).
So when I complete such tasks and enter the Actual Start/Finish Date (01/29/2021) along with the logged hours  (which for whatever reason it is not the same as the Planned one). I would expect to see that change in the Gantt, but no, I still see the Task in the same original date.

Is it possible to automatically have the tasks updated in the Gantt with the Actual Start/Finish Date once I have completed and updated the Task using JIRA? I really need to now if this is possible since we need to know how the completion date will affect the overall planning and timing for linked TasksJIRA Task.pngGantt Task.png

1 answer

Hello @Cesar Barragan 
Let me shed more light on the logic behind synchronization. By default, our app requires two points on the timeline (in other words, two dates) to generate a taskbar and determine the start and endpoints. Those points in time are the task's 'Start date" and 'End date' and are stored as 'Start date' and 'End date' custom fields by default.

However, BigPicture allows you to map also other fields to represent Start & End Date. In general, there are three main strategies for task synchronization:

• Not synchronized - use this option if you do not want to update Jira issues while still planning using the Gantt module. Changes to date estimates will not sync to Jira, which means that task start and end dates might differ from Jira issues' estimates.
  • Two 'Date picker' (or 'Date time picker') fields - recommended when assignees work on multiple tasks simultaneously.
  • One 'Date picker' (or 'Date time picker') field and a time estimate field (Original estimate or Time spent + Remaining estimate) - recommended for working on one task at a time.

In our documentation, you will find more about synchronization settings of the Start & End dates.

As you noticed, the End Date could be mapped only to one field. Therefore a solution may be setting up the value of the Resolved field in the currently synchronized with the End Date field. 3rd party automation tools (e.g., Script Runner may be useful here).

If you have further questions, I will gladly answer them. 

Best,
Anna / SoftwarePlant

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Software

Presenting the "Best of 2020" Jira Software roundup!

Catch up with Atlassian Product Managers in our 2020 Demo Den round-up! From Advanced Roadmaps to Code in Jira to Next-Gen Workflows, check out the videos below to help up-level your work in the new ...

7,120 views 8 28
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you