Big Gantt plug-in effecting end dates automatically

Ariel Kissos January 12, 2022

Hi,

Did anyone notice that Big Gannt plug-in changes Jira filed "start date" and "end date" automatically? it's affecting my dashboards and data.

moreover, I can't see who changed the end date with the history section of the issue.

I would love to hear your ideas on how to handle it.

Big  Gantt moving end date.jpg

1 answer

0 votes
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 12, 2022

Hi @Ariel Kissos

I will try to shed some light on the application logic involved here.

Every change on Jira issues needs to be executed in the name of a user - it is a Jira requirement. The BigPicture/BigGantt changes Start/End dates automatically but these changes are triggered by actions executed by users working with the app. Some changes are directly executed and logged in Jira as done by the logged-in user other changes are queued and executed when the plugin can do it, for example when a user with the correct Jira permissions needed starts using the app.

The issue history updates in most cases are caused by re-synchronization that takes place when triggered by any of the following:

• When a given program is no longer in the application's cache
  • Opening a Jira Detailed Issue View. This would happen if only the WBS widget was enabled on the IssueDetail page.
  • A period of inactivity (not using the program) like a weekend break
  • changes in program synchronization rules
  • Manually performed re-sync(form the Data menu of by "rr" keys)
  • Clearing program cache manually
  • Disabling and enabling the plugin
  • Entering the Confluence page with Gantt or Risk Gadget enabled
  • Creating a task (that belongs to an Epic for example)
  • Moving a task on the Gantt's timeline
  • Moving a task from one Cadence to another in the Roadmap module
  • Linking tasks while using Gantt.
  • Adding a version or a component etc to a Jira issue while using version or component synchronizers
  • The link mode from/to ASAP
  • Changing the SD/ED mapping with data migration

The above-mentioned actions trigger the re-synchronization according to the plugin logic that depends on the author and the changes introduced as well as the configuration of the plugin and are necessary to keep the data integrity.

Please note that:

If there were any changes made by a user in Jira, the events related to these changes are queued inside the app. The queue itself is being released every 5 seconds, so if there are a number of changes applied to the same issue within 5 seconds, the last person who updated the issue will be the author of the last queued change.

At the moment, our plugin does not store data that would allow us to precisely define a reason for task update. However, we are aware that tracking issue changes is important for our clients and the new functionality of tracking task time period via audit log is already on our Product Roadmap. More info here

Should you need any further info regarding this, do not hesitate to ask.

Ariel Kissos January 26, 2022

Thanks for your prompt reply. it's was very informative I will try to track the person that made the changes on the plug-in hopefully to update whether the situation has been solved or not. 

so thanks again. 

Like Anna-BigPicture likes this
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 26, 2022

Hi @Ariel Kissos

You are welcome! I hope you found my post helpful. I will be happy to answer any further questions you may have, just tag me.

Laura May July 5, 2022

Hi @Anna-BigPicture , we are having a related issue.  I am the only person in our Jira environment at the moment, and the only person working on a project.  I have one browser tab open, with the BigGantt view there.  When I amend the start date of a task, whether from the column, from a pop-up window, or by dragging the bar on the gantt chart, it reverts a few seconds later.  So if I change a start date to 30 November this year, for instance, a few seconds later it reverts to today's date (as the start of the project).

Any idea what might be going on here?  Thanks!

Javier Roca August 11, 2022

Hi!

Same issue as @Laura May here... @Anna-BigPicture, any idea?

I've read that the only fix right now is to uninstall BigGantt...

Cheers

Joel Erickson July 7, 2023

Hi @Anna-BigPicture 

Is the functionality of tracking task time period via audit log still on the Product Roadmap for BigGantt? It appears that only BigPicture and BigPictureEnterprise have that functionality?

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events