Best way to create Confluence page from a JIRA issue?

Maggie Santos Silva May 22, 2020

When our queries come in, I log them into JIRA using the Outlook JIRA add-in. This makes it very quick and simple. 

The next thing I need to do is create a page in Confluence that has the same title. I would like to do this ideally with one click that takes the subject of the ticket I've just created, and adds a page to a particular section in Confluence. Always the same section. 

For bonus points, I'd like it to automatically create 3 pages. 

Is there an existing tool for this? I don't mind trying to make one, but I'm not sure how best to start. Thanks.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Maggie Santos Silva April 19, 2021

In the absence of an in-built way to perform this, my current workaround is as follows (detailed further here):workflow.png

1 vote
Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2021

@Maggie Santos Silvaand @masc

Is this tutorial (granted for on premise) the sort of thing you would like to be able to implement on cloud?

If so, I recommend you watch the cloud version of Elements Copy & Sync to get version release details (we're working on bringing the functionality available on the on premise version of the app to the cloud version).

masc April 16, 2021

@Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_  this seems to be what we are looking for, thanks! Is this feature, mentioned in the tutorial, already available in the cloud version?

Edit: I tried the app, works fine inside Jira, Jira > Confluence seems currently not to be available in cloud.

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2021

@mascIt's currently in development and should be available soon.

Edit: It's now available as the app Elements Publish 🎉

This gif shows how a knowledge base article was created using the summary, description, and a comment.

KM header for email.gif

You can see a full video showing how this works here.

masc April 16, 2021

@Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_that sounds good! Would be great to hear when it is available.

@masc @Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_ 

I've included a screenshot of the way we currently process this. 

The template includes a place where you can just add the ticket number, and a placeholder in the page title, which means that the JIRA ticket will automatically list the created page under related Confluence pages, so reaching it from the JIRA side is simple.

In Confluence itself, unlike with Elements, we don't use labels to mark the status, as that would require a lot of manual work. I understand Elements does through the use of an operation, so no manual work is required, of course, however I am not familiar with operations in this context.

Our Confluence structure has a 'folder' (main page) of open tasks and a folder of closed tasks, so moving the page from one to the other is a clean-up job to do in tandem with setting the JIRA status to complete. This is relatively effortless, despite being manual.

I'm going to be quite blunt, @Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_ - As good as your tool may be, long as our workaround serves our purpose, I can't see how we'd have approval for purchasing an add-in.

workflow.png

Like Aubrey Robertson likes this
1 vote
Najjar _Innovura_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 14, 2020

Hi Maggie

We launched a new app that allows you to create pages from templates through Jira Workflow post-function and store the Confluence page in a Jira customfield to apply more actions like:

Workflow postfuntions

• Update page permissions
  • Update page content
  • Update page title

Workflow conditions

• Check if page was modified after a certain status transition
  • Check if page still has a placeholder

And so much more.

Please give it a try, I believe it would streamline alot of repeated effort on your team

Jira Confluence Workflow Extensions (JCWE) 

Give it a try I am confident you'll love it.

If you have any inquires or requests please drop me an email at admin@innovura.io

Maggie Santos Silva November 19, 2020

I believe this is for Confluence Server, whereas I am a user of Confluence Cloud. Thank you though.

0 votes
masc April 16, 2021

Same question here for Jira Cloud:

We would like to create an issue in Jira (in this case a requirement from a business department, including a short description, priority, name of department...) and automatically create a confluence page (in a fixed space) that is linked to the Jira issue (the confluence shall include detailed descritpion of the issue, draw.io diagrams etc.).

Is there a known way to do that?

Thanks!

P.S. Also tried the other way around, start in Confluence: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/forums/postpage/choose-node/true/interaction-style/qanda

Sounds exactly like what I'm after. Starting it in JIRA is more useful for me because our pages would have the Jira ticket number in the title. :-)

0 votes
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2021

Hi @Maggie Santos Silva ,

If there was a way to do this on Cloud, would you first search among Jira apps, or among Confluence apps?

And if it required both a main Jira app and a helper Confluence app to complete your use case, would you expect the helper Confluence app to be public on the Marketplace or hidden since it wouldn't do anything on it's own?

Just looking to understand how you think about your use case and the way to solve it.

Laura

Hi Laura,

Sorry for missing this back in March.

I would personally look at Jira first, for something like a 'one-click Confluence page creator for Jira'. I suppose a wider-scoped tool might also look at creating areas in Bitbucket/Sourcetree/Trello, but we would only be looking for Confluence. If the tool took a JIRA task number and in essence set-up a whole dedicated workspace from it, then I would expect it to be housed in the JIRA marketplace.

If the tool I was looking for wasn't there, then I would go to the Confluence marketplace to see if there was anything that would open a ticket from Confluence, or that could import task metadata into a form or template in Confluence. For it to be adopted, I think this would have to be a very smooth and simple one-click process that is a time-effective replacement for our current process (which is to have a link to Confluence from within Jira and go from there)

I'll put my screenshot in your other reply

Thanks,

Maggie

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events