• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Best way to bulk create sub-tasks

Micha Kops' Quick Subtasks for Jira application for Server is a really good way to quickly create an arbitrary set of sub-tasks for a given issue in a simple text-based interface.  I know I can use the CSV Importer to do the same task, but that process is very cumbersome, and is not practical for everyday use by end users.

Is there a better way to do this in Jira Software Cloud ?  The set of sub-tasks is not necessarily a fixed template, it can vary from one story to another. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks.

3 answers

there is no "best way". it depends on which addon you already have and use.

there are a lot of addon which can do this for you

since automation is free for cloud, you could use it

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library/software-teams

if you work with other ones like scriptrunner, you can use it

Thanks Alexander, It looks like that would work if I were trying to create the same set of subtasks every time, but that's not the problem I'm trying to solve.  I'm looking for a solution that allows the user to input the specifics of a variable number of subtasks in a simple text format.  The CSV Importer supports this, albeit awkwardly. Quick Subtasks supports it almost perfectly, but alas, not on cloud.

Hi Kelly,

Thank you for your question.

I can confirm that with ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud then it is possible to write a script which can be used to programmatically create multiple subtasks below an issue.

I can confirm we have an example of how to do this in the Adaptavist Script Libray located here and you will be able to take this script and to modify this to help achieve your requirements.

Using this you would be able to take a value which a user has inputted on an issue and to pass this into the logic of your script and to create this number of subtasks.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Kristian

Hi Kelly,

You can use Create on Transition for Jira Cloud app to bulk create subtasks on any transition in the workflow including the Create transition. You can easily configure conditions to determine when a subtask should be created using substitution variables, regex patterns, or JQL queries for even more flexibility. Let me know if you have any questions!

Full disclosure, I'm the product manager for the app.

Thanks,

Nishanth T

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Announcing the waitlist for Jira Work Management

Hey there Cloud Community members! We’re excited to give you the first glimpse of the new home for business teams on Jira — Jira Work Management. Jira Work Management is the next generation of J...

874 views 14 20
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you