Best practices for management obsolete cards in a project?

Michael Crincoli November 11, 2020

I am seeking recommendations or the best way to manage obsolete cards from a project.  I see conflicting recommendations on deleting cards.  Looking for ways to minimize the impact on reporting and not clutter the backlog. Thanks in advance.

3 answers

3 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2020

Hi Michael,

We use three different statuses in each of our Workflows for handling Obsolete work. 

Discarded - this is for work that is in the Backlog and was never started and we are not going to do it. 

Abandoned - this is for work that has been started but we decide to not continue working on it right now. This status closes the issue and clones a new issue in the Backlog

Aborted - this is for work that was been started but we decide to kill it and not do the work at all.

All 3 of these statuses set the Resolution field to a value of Obsolete. That way we can filter out Obsolete work versus Done work. 

Take a look at this blog by my boss: https://blog.huge.io/kanbans-four-conclusions-5cfb1716fa39

Michael Crincoli November 16, 2020

@John Funk Thanks, John.  Just so I can clear.  So set up three different options in the workflow and tie to a single status, Obsolete?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2020

No, the options are themselves each a separate status. Obsolete is the value you would set for the Resolution field using a Post Function. 

Like Michael Crincoli likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2020

Here's a screenshot of part of our software development workflow. Done is another status used elsewhere in the same workflow. 

screenshot.png

Thanks.  Do you leave these cards in the backlog and filter out from there?  

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2020

They don't go to the Backlog - they are in a "Done" status category (like the Done status) so they do not appear in the board anywhere. The exception would be that the Abandon status clones a new ticket and places the new ticket in the Backlog to be worked later. 

Like Michael Crincoli likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2020

Hi @Michael Crincoli 

One method is to never delete issues from Jira Cloud, especially given there is no "undo", and recovery from a backup is a bit of an involved process.

Instead consider adding a boolean custom field to indicate "Abandoned".  Then update your filters to ignore abandoned issues, keeping backlogs, boards, and reporting clean...while you can still view the abandoned items with a search.

Best regards,

Bill

@Bill Sheboy Thanks, Bill.  Just so I am clear, you create a custom field in the issue layout than filter out?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2020

Hi @Michael Crincoli 

Please talk to your site admin about adding a custom field, which you can learn more about here:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/create-a-custom-field/

One you have the field available to the project, update your filter to remove abandoned items from reporting, such as adding the following to the filter:

... AND Abandoned IS EMPTY

Then set the field for the items you would have previously deleted.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2020

So I am not a fan of deleting, with the exception for the reason I just happened to be doing so now - i'm setting up a new project and importing from an external system and running multiple tests and wish to delete the test issues.

Now back to your question...

So if you goal is simply to keep a tidy backlog by not including some issues I would inquire as to what defines these "don't want to see" issues? This will tell us the best way to exclude. For example, let's say an issue was created but ultimately it was decided not to proceed with the work. In this case I would choose to mark as Done w/ a resolution of Cancelled or Won't do. In so doing they disappear from the backlog naturally. Alternatively, you could have a different done statuscategory status, e.g. Cancelled or Obsolete. In that case they would still disappear from the backlog since the status is of type done statuscategory.

@Jack Brickey Thanks, Jack. The cards are mostly obsolete.  Either scope changed or was addressed in another card.   

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events