Best Language for Jira Cloud Rest API's

seethamraju April 21, 2020

Hi Team,

I would like to learn Jira cloud rest API's so i recently visited to Atlassian documentation, where i found programs are available in 5 languages like (cURL, NodeJS, PHP, Python, Java)

Out of all these languages can any one suggest which is best and most used one.

Thanks in advance,

Raju 

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2020

I wouldn't worry about the language, it really doesn't matter. 

Purely as an academic exercise, I wrote a bash script that took a url constructed by a program written in Ook! as an input to a curl call to a Jira REST API that created a new issue. 

I would not recommend that, Ook! is not a lovely thing to try to code in.

You should code in whatever you want to.  From your list, I personally would use Java, but that is purely because I know enough Java to do what I want.  I've not used Python enough to form an opinion, but I know plenty of people who love it, and count people whom I have a lot of respect for amongst them, so there must be something in it.  I'd say the same about Javascript too.

0 votes
Lasse Langhorn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2020

Hi,

I would go for Python if I were to recommend a programming language. It is very powerful and you can find Python packages for almost anything.

As Java and Python programmer I found the Python language to be extremely flexible.

I would recommend a Python package like Atlassian Python API or Python Request. I have used both packages when I were to manipulate the Atlassian REST API on Atlassian instances like Jira, Confluence or Bamboo.

Hope this will get you started.

Regards

Lasse Langhorn

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders