Backlog - Sprint badge indicators wrong

Jerod Houghtelling February 10, 2021

Hello,

I'm trying to track down an issue where the indicators over the top of an active sprint for "Not Started", "In Progress", and "Done" are incorrect. I have verified that all of the status and the workflow appear to have the correct mappings. In this image below you can see that the currently selected ticket as a status of "Open" which corresponds to the "TO DO" state which I believe should be counted as "Not Started" instead of "In Progress" as the points indicate above the sprint.

image.png

Any ideas of what configuration might be wrong?

Thanks!

3 answers

0 votes
Jerod Houghtelling February 11, 2021

@Jack Brickey All of the filterings by statusCategory appear correct. Here is a screencap of the "To Do" statuses which are showing as "In Progress" in the backlog sprint badges.image.png

@Trudy Claspill I verified that the board settings is using the Story Points as the estimation value. All of the points are correct in the backlog sprint badges but for some reason, they are being categorized wrong.image.png

More information: The tickets in the above state are in this status. And the category of our "Open" is "To Do".

image.png

image.png

Also, the global "Open" status is set up as "To Do". I'm not sure they can be different though...

image.png

Any other things I should check?

Thanks!
Jerod

----

ANSWER: I was confused by the "Open", "In Progress", and "Done" indicators. These indicators above the active sprint DO NOT correspond to the workflow status. Instead, they are grouping the issues based on the board columns. The first column is always "Open", the last column is always "Done", and all columns in between are always "In Progress".

image.png

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2021

Hello @Jerod Houghtelling 

The values in those lozenges represent the totals of whatever you are using for Estimation as specified in the Board Settings for your board.

Start by checking that setting to see what is used for the Estimation Statistic. It might be Issue Count, but it might also be something else, like Story Points.

The summation in the three lozenges corresponds to the mapping of issue Statuses to Status Categories. The three Status Categories are To Do, In Progress, and Done. Each of these can have multiple Status values mapped to them. (That is done at the global level and is found under Settings > Issues > Statuses.)

So, check your board settings to see what is used for Estimation. Then using the query suggestion from @Jack Brickey retrieve all the issues in a category and referencing those add up the values in them being used for Estimation.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2021

hi Jerod, 

If you could, construct three JQLs one for each status category.

• Sprint = "sprint 91" and statusCategory = "To Do"
  • Sprint = "sprint 91" and statusCategory = "In Progress"
  • Sprint = "sprint 91" and statusCategory = "Done"

please note you may have to tweak your sprint number here but the auto-complete should help.

what are the result?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 11, 2021

Trudy is correct - the numbers will (should) represent your estimation. To be clear here, it appears that the total SPs is accurate @ 9 and the issue is why they are all showing as In Progress on the lozenges, correct? and ALL of the issues in the planned sprint are in OPEN and OPEN shows as To Do category. Quit baffling! It sure seems like somehow the lozenge logic is seeing your OPEN status as In Progress and not To Do. Just doesn't make sense...yet.

Other thoughts/tests:

• is this workflow used elsewhere? if so it might be interesting to see if another project/board behaved the same. 
  • what about other projects and other workflows? can you check to see if this issue is specific to this project/workflow/board?
  • addon - you don't by chance have some addons that might be interfering here?
  • Atlassian Support - they could log in and have a look
Jerod Houghtelling February 11, 2021

@Jack Brickey you have successfully stated the problem. Upon further research, I do see this incorrect grouping in the Sprint Health Gadget as well. Tickets in the "Open" state, with a status of "To Do", are being counted/displayed as "In Progress". 

Additionally, we do have some tickets in the statusCategory="In Progress" being counted/displayed as "To Do". So it's more than just the "Open" status.

Unfortunately, the other projects that this workflow is attached to are dead, so I don't have a good way to test this on other projects at the moment. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events