Avatar Isn't working on external networks

cfowers January 10, 2018

When using Jira using its local IP all avatars are shown. When accessing Jira from an external network, my avatars don't work. I tried searching the community and I'm not seeing a solution that really works. 

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2018

Hi Christopher,

One thing I would check is your base URL and then check the avatar path to see where it's pointed to.  Take a look at the Communities post Solved: Problem with custom Avatars in Jira where some users ran into a similar problem and found the issue to be with the avatar location and the base URL. 

Once you check those, if that all appears correct let me know and we'll go from there.

Cheers,

Branden

cfowers January 10, 2018

The BaseURL is set for my domain. And I am able to see these avatars from a different machine on the same network when hitting the server by IP. The issue comes into play when using jira from an external network or by domain name/external IP. Additionally, I verified the avatars are being saved in the correct directory

cfowers January 10, 2018

Meant to also say: Thank you for responding so fast!

cfowers January 10, 2018

Double tapped everything in the thread you posted. Better safe than sorry and there is no change. 

cfowers January 10, 2018

Welp. I'm feeling like an idiot. Was a DNS issue with my NGINX routing. I have a weird setup. I resolved it sort of

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2018

Hi Christopher,

Do you get errors with the dashboard gadgets or Application links. 

The next step would be to check the proxyname and proxyport and make sure you have an entry like the following:

proxyName="jira.atlassian.com" proxyPort="443"

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Cheers,

Branden

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
January 10, 2018

Ah.  Thanks for the follow up Christopher.  I haven't used nginx much up to this point but there are other directives for nginx that may need to be set to get this working correctly.

From the documentation it looks like proxy_pass may be the equivalent of proxyName and proxyPort.

Let me know what you find.

Suggest an answer