Automations for Playtest and Smoketest to Compare Existing Versions on Board

Alisa Johnson July 20, 2021

Hello ---

I am creating Automations to perform the following:

1. Engineers create an issue
  2. Engineers complete issue and it is copied to QA
  3. When QA completes their "playtest," a new ticket is created to "smoketest" the issue on a development build
  4. Currently there is one smoketest QA ticket for every playtest QA ticket in my automation

I would like for the process to be:

1. Engineers create an issue
  2. Engineers complete issue and it is copied to QA
  3. When QA completes their "playtest," a new ticket is created to "smoketest" the issue on a development build
  4. When the next QA ticket is "playtest" complete, the automation checks to see if a "smoketest" ticket has already been completed
  5. If yes, then a "smoketest" ticket is not automatically created

Thoughts on how to compare an automation to what is currently on a board? Thank you in advance!

2 answers

0 votes
Hyrum Steffensen _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2021

Hello Alisa,

If I am reading your requirements correctly, you:

• would like to create a linked Issue when one closes
  • check a linked issue to see if it is in a certain status (say, closed). if not, create a new issue

To clone and issue (you could also create an issue, if desired). See how the issues are linked in the "More options".

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 11.06.02 PM.png

I am not sure the exact conditions you are looking for, but you can use an if/else block to check for already existing smoketests. If none exist, create a new ticket.

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 11.15.10 PM.png

I hope this give you some ideas on how to start on some Automation rules. Please let us know what you think!

Regards,

Hyrum

0 votes
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2021

Hi @Alisa Johnson ,

Would start looking into if there's any association between the playtest and smoktest ticket. Without some kind of pattern or association, it will be harder to automate and find the smoke test that went along with the playtest.

For example,

if the playtest is link to smoketest upon creation, then you setup an automation to see if there is a link ticket smoke test during the transition to complete. If not, create one. If yes, don't perform any action.

-Ben

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events