Automation transition rules don't get triggered if another rule sets a transition

Miguel Silveira September 3, 2019

Hello,

I've been searching this for quite a while but i think there's actually a bug and i don't know what to do anymore.

I'm using Jira Software with the Automation plugin included. I have a workflow that is set to transition from "In Progress" -> "Overdue".
I had 2 things in mind. First is to trigger a rule everytime a issue transits to Overdue to edit a field value.
The second is to generate that exact transition if a certain time passes.

Conditions are ok, and the values are fine as well, but for some reason, automation doesn't catch the transition made by the second rule. It only catches the transition if made by hand on the issue and not automatically.

Does anyone have a workaround or knows how to fix this? 

Thank you,
Miguel

1 answer

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Kuhl _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2019

Hi @Miguel Silveira - It sounds like you need to turn on the option to allow the rule to be triggered by other rules. From the docs:

Allow Rule Trigger - Rules triggering other rules

By default, actions in one rule will not trigger another rule. This is to avoid rule execution loops. You can change this setting by enabling/disabling the Allow rule trigger checkbox. Only enable this if you need this rule to execute in response to another rule.

Miguel Silveira September 3, 2019

@Michael Kuhl _Appfire_ It was really that simple! Thank you so much!

Hours and hours looking for a workaround... Seriously you saved me!

Thank you once more.
Miguel :)

Like Michael Kuhl _Appfire_ likes this
Wesley Maffazzolli March 8, 2023

I had the same issue and your recommendation solved it as well. Thank you!

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer