Automation to update new field on card creation

Jade Melcher April 14, 2021

Hello! We are looking to set up automation to update a field (project manager = myself) when specific initiatives are created along with updating the field on the child epics and stories. This would include if any epics or stories are created after the initial plan.

If we update the project manager on the initiative manually (in order to avoid needing a component of some sort), is there automation to automatically update the epics and stories? Perhaps if initiative pm field = myself, then update the field on epics and stories?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2021

Hi Jade,

Yes you would need some type of indicator for those Initiatives. I would suggest adding a Component for that since they are easy to use in Automation and for Reporting. 

Jade Melcher April 14, 2021

thank you. I just updated the question a bit. 

If we update the project manager on the initiative manually (in order to avoid needing a component of some sort), is there automation to automatically update the epics and stories? Perhaps if initiative pm field = myself, then update the field on epics and stories?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2021

Yes, you should be able to use Automation to identify the linked Epics. But you might need two different Rules - one when the initiative is updated to update the Epic. And then another one when the Epic is updated to update the Stories. But you can try that. 

So create a rule based on the Project Manager field being updated

Then add a condition if the issuetype = Initiative

Then add another condition for Related Issues and choose linked Issues.

Select the linked issues type you use for Initiatives to Epics.

Then add a New Action for Edit Issue

Select the Project Manager field and choose Copy from Trigger Issue

It will look something roughly like this:

screenshot.png

Jade Melcher April 27, 2021

Thank you - this worked! :)

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2021

YAY!

Suggest an answer