Automation to set Parent Link for Epic to Initiative

Ethan V. September 25, 2020

Fellow Automators,

I am at an impasse with Automation for Jira and need help.

My dept is currently using an automation to create an Initiative (custom issuetype for Adv Roadmaps, heirarchy set up per documentation) for every Epic created in this other project, however, for the sake of the Plans feature, I cannot figure out how to set the Parent Link between the two via Automation.

I saw another discussion give an answer for a Parent Link for a Task using this code "{"fields":{"parent":{"id":"36768"}}}" but this error is returning to me "Issue type 10020 is not a sub-task but a parent is specified. (issuetype), Sub-tasks must be created in the same project as the parent. (project)."

Could this error be because it was for Tasks and not Epics? What would be the correct id?

This area of Automation is lacking and I dearly miss Code Barrell's documentation, but that's another topic.

Thanks for any help yall can provide.

1 answer

2 votes
frother
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 28, 2020

Hi Ethan,

Thanks for reaching out.

The hierarchy in advanced road maps unfortunately isn't maintained by a single field, it depends on the issue type.

Epic -> Any issue above epic: Need to set parent link

Any issue -> Epic: Need to set epic link

Subtask -> Any issue: Need to set parent

So with that said, it sounds like you are trying to set a relationship maintained by the parent link field. To do that you need to do the following in the advanced section:

{
"fields": {
"Parent link": "ISSUE_KEY_HERE"
}
}

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Scott.

Ethan V. September 30, 2020

Scott, 

By the looks of it, this would be for setting a single issue as parent link. What would be the coding for setting it as the trigger issue.

My Automation goes:

Manual trigger
Clone Epic ticket to be an Initiative ticket in the IN project and set the parent link.

I feel like the documentation has become less useful since Atlassian bought Automation out.

Thanks so much,
Ethan 

Like # people like this
Jan Stähle June 21, 2021

Hi @Ethan V. 

having the same question - could you solve it by now? 

Best,
Jan

Jan Stähle June 21, 2021

Dear @Ethan V. ,

kept searching and found this solution: 

{
"fields": {
"Parent link": "{{triggerissue.key}}"
}
}

In this case the triggering issue is added as the parent, you can change that according to the smartvalue syntax https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/smart-values-general/

Best,
Jan

Like # people like this
BrentBot_ September 27, 2021

Hi @Ethan V. , @Jan Stähle  @frother 

How would i set the parent link with the attached automation for the EPIC. The trigger issue is service desk issue type, which then creates our ACCOUNT issue type (we renamed the initiative issuetype) and make the ACCOUNT the parent link for the epic. I cant seem to get the above to work and its vital that this automation creates the account as the parent link for the epictempsnip.png

BrentBot_ October 7, 2021

@Ethan V. @Jan Stähle @frother  anything here for my additional inquiry?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events