Automation to create sub-tasks from a sub-task hitting a status

Christian Delgado May 23, 2023

Hi Everyone,

The ask is: 

- Automate the creation of a Sub-task (Subtask2) when a specific Sub-task (Let's call it Sub-task1) hits the DONE status.

- Make sure this new Subtask2 is set under the Task of the recently closed Sub-task.

This is the automation, but not working as of now. If anyone can give me a different approach or a solution. 

AnyDesk_T1p3NJHQHB.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fernando Eugênio da Silva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2023

@Christian Delgado 

Is there any log that rule presents showing the error? It should be working.

But with the automation log we can see other details and help you with the best way.

Christian Delgado May 24, 2023

AnyDesk_(2)_zB4q2uWgbK.png

Fernando Eugênio da Silva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2023

@Christian Delgado 

The log explains that the type of issue you are trying to create is not a 'Sub-task' type and therefore cannot be associated as a 'Child Issue' of your subtask's parent.

To be more assertive in your automation, change the ACTION of your automation
Instead of Create Issue, use Create Sub-Task Action

You will only see item types acceptable as a sub-task, associated with this project.

Christian Delgado May 25, 2023

This actually worked, but now It's creating 2 sub-tasks under the parent instead of just one. The rule only has 1 action to create 1 task. I'm confused. 

AnyDesk_(2)_rM8RH1c7qE.png

Christian Delgado May 25, 2023

Disregard, I copied it and now it's not doing it. Thank you so much this worked!

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2023

Hi Christian, 

What if you did a clone of the one that moved to Done and identify the fields and their values that need to change?

I am sorry I don't seem to understand the question.

did you mean to say why did I clone the subtask? as in what is the purpose?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2023

Sorry, there as a typo in my question. I have corrected that now. 

I could clone but this sub-task is a custom one and it would have a different name.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2023

That's fine - just give it a different name in the Summary field when you are creating the Clone. 

Suggest an answer