Automation to check for existing checklist before creating new one

Andy Tran April 17, 2024

Looking to get some help to add on to my existing automation around checklists.

Currently I have automation adding a checklist when certain values are modified for specific issue types.  However I noticed that if an issue already has a checklist added to the ticket and the same values are changed, a new checklist is created and overwrites the existing checklist.

I'm looking for automation to first check the work item to see if there is an existing checklist already existing and IF there is NOT, to create a new one.  IF there is already one, ignore.

image.png

1 answer

1 vote
Wojciech Wardaszko _HeroCoders_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2024

Hi @Andy Tran

It looks like you're using one of our Apps (Issue Checklist for Jira Free or Pro, or Checklist for Jira | Enterprise). I'm happy to help.

To avoid overwriting a checklist, you can add {{issue.Checklist Text}} as a first line in the Edit issue text input area for the Checklist text field - it will include current checklist before appending the checklist you're adding in this step. This formatting guide will help you discern checklists when they are added this way. You can either add a separator line (starting with three dashes: ---) or, if you're using multiple checklists, you can add a new one starting with # Your checklist name

If you want to only have one checklist at all times, you can add a field condition before your action, something like Issue fields condition: Checklist text is empty should work.

I'll gladly help you finetune the automation rule to your needs. Feel free to reach out to us via our service portal.

Cheers!

Andy Tran April 18, 2024

Thank you! That worked. I'll reach out in the service portal if I have further questions with the checklist.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events