Automation rules - allow in progress only for tasks with estimation

Mateusz Czuchrak December 21, 2021

Hi, I'd like to launch a rule: 

If task doesn't have estimation, block users from moving it to "to do" status. 

How can I do that? I've tried automation rules but couldn't find a suitable condition for that. I'm using time estimation in the field "original estimate" (I don't use storypoints)

4 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2021

Hi @Mateusz Czuchrak , 

Like @Olga Videc says you'll have to go thru a validator, an external app should not be needed I believe.

In the regular validators (when you edit your workflow transition) you can see the following validator:

image.png

one of the fields you can choose is "original estimate" and I believe the should be enough for your use case.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2021

Hello @Mateusz Czuchrak 

Sound like you need a validator, and an app JSU automation since this is not a standard validator.

What the validator does is allow users to see the status but when they try to transition it if the condition is not met pop-up message will appear.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/5048/jsu-automation-suite-for-jira-workflows?tab=overview&hosting=cloud

BR, Olga

Do I really need to do that with an external app? 

In team-managed projects it can be done in workflows https://prnt.sc/23uiu0a 

Therefore I was assuming I could also do it in company-managed project somehow, without using app. 

Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2021

Hello, 

My apologies you can achieve this on the cloud without the external app, this was not possible on the server. 

Tested on the cloud, all you have to do is add a validator.

Edit your workflow, choose the desired transition add validator "Field Required Validator" and error message.

BR, Olga

1 vote

Thanks guys, I added validators in workflow and it works as I needed it to

0 votes
Aron Kuch October 17, 2023

Thank you for the idea; I think I'll set this in my project.

Suggest an answer