Automation rules - Calculate Story point based on custom fields in issue

Ben Sar_ May 30, 2021

Hi Guys, 

I am trying to perform an automatic calculation using automation. I created several fields (NUMERIC) that are custom in the system and added them to the Issue itself. for example Story Point A Story Point B I want to cause a situation where when one of these Story points changes it updates my main Story Point.

this is how my rule looks like,

Field value changedChange trigger This rule will trigger when the value of the fields selected below changes. Learn more.

Edit issueDelete component

try to use this edit for story point

{{issue.customfield_10081.value.join(" + ")}}

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 5, 2021

Hi @Ben Sar_ 
overall this looks like the demand is summing up the values of some custom fields.

grafik.png

The above rule worked in my example, please be noted that you are not limited to two Custom fields. You can have as many as you need but then need to adjust the rule.

{{#=}}{{issue.FE Story points}} + {{issue.BE Story points}}{{/}}

The above formula is put on "Edit issue fields". It basically says nothing more that to sum the values of two custom fields into "Story points". This is done every time a value in one of the custom fields changes.

Is it what you were looking for?

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Mohamed Adel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2021

Hi @Ben Sar_ 

To be able to sum two numeric values , you need to use this math expression

{{#=}}{{issue.Story Points}} + YourCustomFieldValue{{/}}

Please refer to this page for more information

Thanks in advance

Mohamed

Ben Sar_ May 30, 2021

Hi Mohamed,

thanks for the quick reply.

if I want to use only my custom fields and sum the Story points?

For example,

MyCustomFieldValue + MyCustomFieldValue + MyCustomFieldValue 

and update the story points ?

Ben Sar_ May 30, 2021

Hi Mohamed,

i found the solution with custom fields but now, it always update the story points and just added new value , I need it to be calculated with new values 

this what I am doing 

{{#=}}{{issue.Story Points}} + {{BE Story points}}{{/}} + {{FE Story points}}{{/}} + {{QA Story points}}{{/}}

Or

{{BE Story points}}{{/}} + {{FE Story points}}{{/}} + {{QA Story points}}{{/}}

and when I change the values it is just updated by adding the new value.

for example, started with 1 then change value to 10 so added 11 instead of update to 10 

can you help here?

Ben Sar May 31, 2021

@Mohamed Adel can you help  with ?

Ben Sar_ June 2, 2021

Up 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin