Automation rule to inherit field value through complex hierarchy

Klára Laura Zikešová May 16, 2022

Hi, struggling with setting automation rules to update a field in issue type hierarchy as on annex. One set of rules to set the field on create issue and second when updated. It works just partially and non-functional rules have no action in logs, so it looks like Jira automation doesn´t count its own action as an event. There might be also some human mistake, of course. Could you give me some hint/advice, please?

Problem between Initiative and Epic is that there is just custom classic link between them (called child/parent, but it is not the Parent link as with parent link cannot be filled by automation and I need to be that link created by automation). Enclosing also print screens of the rulesworking_2.PNGworking_1.PNGnot working_2.PNGnot working_1.PNGmilestone and fix verion inheriting rules.pngmilestone_red non working.PNG

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2022

Hi @Klára Laura Zikešová 

In the details section at the top of a rule, there is an option for "Allow Rule Trigger".  Enabling this permits one rule's actions to trigger another rule.

This option is off by default to prevent a runaway rule scenario and/or mistakes between rules.

Perhaps try enabling the option for rules which are "downstream" of the rule which could trigger them.

And please note: for a complicated hierarchy there could be timing issues of rule firing...and not necessarily immediately when you wish.  Review how you intend your rules to behave and test accordingly.

Kind regards,
Bill

Klára Laura Zikešová May 23, 2022

Hi, thanks for the tips. I did check now the checkboxes, but unfortunatelly it didn ´t help. There must be some other catch :-( Scheduling might solve half of whole problem if acceptable by customer. Will try. Thanks.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2022

Did the behavior change after enabling that option?  And, perhaps it would help if you describe the desired flow and what you observe happening, such as...

• When an initiative does X I want Y to happen
  • Then...
  • Then...

Thanks!

Suggest an answer