Automation rule to display the latest release version in a project

Ashish February 5, 2021

Hello Experts, 

I am trying to display latest release version in a text custom field  using automation rule

attached the autoamtion rule i created, but for some reason its not working

Can you please advise whats missing 

Regards

Ashish

3 answers

0 votes
Ashish February 5, 2021

@Bill Sheboy  : Rule works only if the issues are linked to the release version

My aim is to update the custom field with the latest relase version irrespective of it being linked or not 

Capture the latest release version of porject and display it in custom field.

Thanks 
Ashish

Ashish February 5, 2021

Hi @Bill Sheboy  : 

I want the custom field to be used in confluence so that it can display the data realtime in confluecne documentation.

There isnt exist any macro which can be used to display the latest release version , hence this workaround

Entity properties havent used , so no idea about it 

Thanks
Ashish

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2021

Thanks for that information.  Of note, please try to stay on one thread in these responses.  That will help others searching for answers in the future.

To solve what you ask without purchasing any add-ons, you could add a two-dimensional filter gadget (under the Jira chart macros), using your filter for latestReleasedVersion.  That could show the version and issue count.

If that will not meet your needs, please take a look at the marketplace add-ons to see what is available for purchase.

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2021

Hi @Ashish 

Would you please post an image of your rule and the audit log, and describe what you believe is not working?

Thanks, and best regards,

Bill

Ashish February 5, 2021
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2021

Hi @Ashish 

To back up a bit, what problem are you trying to solve by "My aim is to update the custom field with the latest relase version irrespective of it being linked or not "?  You can always see the last released version on the releases page.

Doing what you ask is not possible as you have tried in the rule.  If the issues are not already linked to the version, there is no way to determine if it is the last released version.  And the last released version is changing over time, so the value would become out of date as releases occur.  And, if you stored the last release version in issues, you would need to repeatedly update the issues...probably at least until they are closed/resolved.

As a work-around, you could set an Entity Property in the Project every time a release occurs.  You may then access the value when you need it.  But that seems redundant, as I noted above.

To learn more about entity properties, please look here:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/automation-actions/

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/jira-entity-properties/

0 votes
Ashish February 5, 2021

@William Sheboy : Can you advise

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL