Automation rule question: if due date is changed on parent

Ajda Gruden September 9, 2022

Hello!

I'm still relatively new with automations, and my most recent rule doesn't seem to do what I want it to.

When a due date on a parent issue is updated, the due dates of the sub-tasks need to be updated too and 3 additional subtasks need to be created.

I tried tackling the first action first, as it seems simple enough, so I did this:

due date subtask.png

When I tested the rule, the audit log says it succeeded, but the due date in the subtask was empty. What did I do wrong?

due date empty.png

Thank you in advance!
Ajda

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2022

Hi @Ajda Gruden you need to use branch with subtasks. Something like this:

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 15.40.32.png

Feel free to comment if you need more help :)

Ajda Gruden September 9, 2022

Hello @Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ !

Thank you for your answer :) I changed it like so + adding the other sub-task that needs to be created. Unfortunately, the due date field remains empty :/ And curiously enough, the second sub-task gets created, as it should.

The audit log displays a success.

Here's what the rule looks like now:

2022-09-09 15_55_31-Automation - Jira.png

Can you tell what I'm missing? :)

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2022

I see two problems with your changes.

In the Edit Issue Fields action you need to change the Copy Due date from Current Issue to be Copy Due date from Parent.

Click right on top of the "Current Issue" text and you'll get a pop-up that lets you change it to Parent.

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 7.52.22 AM.png

The second issue with your changes is that you are creating the new sub-tasks within the loop where you are updating sub-tasks. That means you will be creating a new sub-task for each sub-task that you update. If you have 3 sub-tasks, you'll end up with 6. I don't think that is what you want.

Instead you need to pull the creation of new sub-tasks outside of that related issues branch. Click on Add Component here to add actions outside of the loop where you are updating sub-tasks.

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 7.56.15 AM.png

If you want to create 3 sub-tasks, you'll need to add 3 actions to create those.

Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 9, 2022

Hi @Ajda Gruden as @Trudy Claspill says, when your function flows to the "branch" you gets to the subtask level, so you need to reference parent issue to get the correct due date. And I have nothing to add to "subtasks" problem :). Thank you @Trudy Claspill 

Ajda Gruden September 12, 2022

Thank you @Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__  and @Trudy Claspill , this seems to have worked!

Best,
Ajda

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events