Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Automation rule not triggered when transitioning to discarded

I have an automation rule which triggers on several transitions like so:

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 10.00.28.png

This works perfectly for all transitions besides when the issue is transitioned to Discarded. As far as I can see no other automations are in play.

Any ideas what is going wrong?

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk Community Leader Dec 06, 2021

Hi Nils - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What does the audit log say when it is Transitioned to Discarded? Are you saying that the automation doesn't fire? Or that there is no action performed? 

Hi John,

strangely the transaction does not show up in the audit log at all. Consequently, no other parts of the automation are being executed either.

John Funk Community Leader Dec 09, 2021

I would check the Rule details and make sure the Allow rule trigger check box is checked. It might be that another automation is firing first and this one is not even firing. 

There shouldn't be any other rules firing before this one. I did test it with the box enabled nonetheless and the result is the same: The transition to Discarded does not show up (not even in the audit log). Transitioning the same ticket back to New & Backlog does successfully trigger the automation as expected.

John Funk Community Leader Dec 09, 2021

Maybe create a copy of the rule and clear out all of the other statuses except Discarded and try the rule for a single project that you are using. 

Then change that to multiple projects or global and see if it still works. 

Hi @Nils Kunze 

Adding to the ideas John suggested...

Do you have a custom workflow, perhaps related to the status Discarded?  If so, there is an open defect that when you have a custom event on a transition, the Issue Transition trigger does not fire.  The work-around is to remove the custom event.

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

👋 Looking for 15-20 volunteers to test Atlassian training content

Hi everyone! Are you interested in beta testing Atlassian University’s newest (unreleased!) training course? We’re looking for 15-20 volunteers to test our newest training course, Basic reporting...

863 views 25 28
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you