Automation rule not kicking in when changing issue to a sub-task

david catriel March 20, 2023

Hi everyone

I'm trying to create an automation rule that will clear out certain fields when an issue is converted to a subtask, and the rule just doesn't seem to get triggered at all. Unsure what I'm missing. Any ideas?

I've tried using a condition to check the "Type" field itself for when it's changing value to "Sub-Task" as well as using smart values. Nada. Is a change to  a sub-task not considered a field change maybe?

subtask issue 2.jpgsubtask issue 1.jpg

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2023

There currently is no way to trigger a rule based on the conversion of an issue to a subtask or vice versa. I have found these issues related to the topic:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-22432

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-70640

Nor have I found a way to detect that such a conversion has occurred by using an Issue Updated trigger and looking in the changelog smart value at

- parent

- parent link

- issueType

david catriel March 27, 2023

@Trudy Claspill  - thanks. This does indeed appear to be a known bug with Atlassian under JSWCLOUD-22432, so I've added my vote to it. Hopefully they get to this one soon.

1 vote
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2023

Hi @david catriel - Am I correct to assume that you're changing the issue type by way of a "move" action?  If so, your trigger needs to be Issue Moved

Thanks @Mark Segall . I've tried that instead of a Value Change, but the Move only captures movement of an issue between projects. I've tried it anyway, though, and still nothing in the logs. I tried this with both the issue type check and smart values.

Are you able to get something like this to work? If so, would you be able to post a screenshot of the rules?

subtask issue 3.jpg

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 20, 2023

It was worth a shot.  Perhaps you could use the field value changed trigger, but focus on the Parent field?

0 votes
Juan Carlos Vera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2023

Hi @david catriel 

In "Field value changed" Trigger, What "Change type" you have?

Can you show the Rule Details Screen?

Hi @Juan Carlos Vera. I've basically left that one open to any changes:

subtask issue 4.jpg 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS