Automation rule for due date

Ritu July 14, 2021

Hello, 

I am running into issues for an automation rule for the following scenario:

When the due date changes for a blocker-> change the due date for all linked issues.  For example, task1 blocks task2. If due date for task1 changes then due date for task 2 should also change.

Here's the rule( screenshot attached) that I have applied but somehow it's not doing exactly what I would like to achieve. 

I'd really appreciate any input from the community. 

Thanks,

Rrulescreenshot.JPG 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2021

Hi @Ritu 

When you note "it's not doing exactly what I would like to achieve" what are you observing happening?  And what do you see in the audit log?

Also note that as your rule doesn't have any conditions other than linked issues, this could lead to a looping rule which repeatedly updates the same issues (if performance is slow enough).  It would need more constraints and/or a breaking condition to stop processing.

Best regards,
Bill

Ritu July 16, 2021

Hi @Bill Sheboy 

Thanks so much! What I meant that the due date of the issue that is being blocked by another or related issue is not being changed when I try changing the due date of the blocker issue. Here's the scenario what I am trying to do:

- Task 1 with due date 08/16 and Task 2( may or may not be in the same epic) due on 8/18. 

Task 2 blocks Task 1. If I change the due date of Task 2 from 08/18 to 08/24 then due date for task 1 should also change for task 1 to 08/24.

I am not too familiar with the automated rules and tried copying an existing rule from the automation library. 

Thoughts? I'd highly appreciate any ideas or help here.  

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2021

Hi, Ritu!

A couple of things to try:

• Please consider tightening up that condition on links to check just for blocking ones.  That should limit the impact of the rule, if that is what you wanted.
  • Next, the due date comparison could be having problems with time components, so perhaps try to directly compare the fields as "not equal" using advanced comparison

Also note from the template rule that it checks if the due date was cleared/changed to empty.  Please consider what you want the rule to do in that case: clear the linked issues, due nothing, etc.

Like Ritu likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events