Automation rule: copy parent value from cascading select fields to subtask

Jonathan September 14, 2022

for some reason it's not possible to select a cascading select field as I can select any other standard fiel for editiing.

So I have to dive into the advanced options.

How can I adress a parent's customfield? And do i have to take into account the special array type that a cascading select requires?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2022

Hi @Jonathan ,

I´m not sure if I can follow your requirements 100% but the following community post seems similar to your question:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/smart-value-for-cascading-select-field/qaq-p/1482635

Please let me know if this was helpful. Otherwise could you please describe your use case from a functional perspective? which problem you would like to solve with this rule? and furthermore a screenshot of your automation rule to get a better overview.

Best
Stefan

Hi,

sure.

I want a specific issuetype of subtask to be updated with field values of a set of fields from the parent ticket. To be more specific:

When the subtask is created:

copy field "Prozessteam" from parent (single select field, no problem there)

copy field "Modul" from parent (cascading select field, not available from the standard field selection, so I have to use advanced settings.)

I got it to work now, here is what my JSON looks like

{
"fields": {
"customfield_15221": {
"value": "{{triggerIssue.parent.customfield_15221.value}}",
"child": {
"value": "{{triggerIssue.parent.customfield_15221.child.value}}"
}
}
}
}

this question was also helpful

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-questions/Copy-two-cascading-field-values-from-Parent-to-Sub-task/qaq-p/1632481#U2134430

Like # people like this
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2022

AWESOME job 💪 Good to know you got that working and thanks for sharing your solution with the community. This can be very helpful for other users with similar problems.

(side note: as an austrian community leader it´s always a pleasure to read some German terminology ;) )

Best
Stefan

Like Jonathan likes this

yes - I know how frustrating it can be to find a previous question that would match ones own predicament but the possible answer was not properly documented :)

(btw. not only german terminology but also from austria ;) )

Like Stefan Salzl likes this
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 14, 2022

Very much appreciate this mindset. Thanks so much. That´s the community mindset 💪🙌

ooooh.....another austrian enthisiast. very cool. I am based in Vienna and we just started to host community event yesterday. If you´d like to I would be happy to connect on linkedin (link is in my profile) for some atlassian and professional exchange ;)

Best
Stefan

Like Jonathan likes this
ChristopherChilds February 9, 2024

Awesome.

I was hovering around with this had many combinations but neither where quite working.

Like Stefan Salzl likes this

Suggest an answer