Automation question: Copy contents of assignee field to a custom text field

sherri_nc September 19, 2022

Hi Folks,

I am wondering if it is possible to copy the assignee field to a custom text field.  This is needed because we are using Aha Roadmaps and users without an Aha account get sent over as email addresses, not first and last names as we would like.

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2022

Hi @sherri_nc 

If you just need the displayed name, you may use {{issue.assignee.displayName}} to edit your custom field.  There are other user fields, as described here: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-users/

Next, the assignee could be set at issue create or edited later.  So you would need two automation rules to update the custom field: one trigged on issue create and one on issue updated.

To get you started on creating your rules, please review this documentation and examples:

Kind regards,
Bill

sherri_nc September 19, 2022

Hi Bill,

I am not quite following your answer...I do just need the first and last name but don't I need to give the automation more information than what you are saying to do?

-sherri

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2022

Hi Sherri,

A disclaimer: I am not using that addon tool, Aha Roadmaps, so please try this to learn if it works as you expect.  For text, custom fields, this should work.

If people are entering their first and last names for their Jira user name, this should work with an automation rule.  For example, when an issue is created you could use this: 

• trigger: issue created
  • action: re-fetch the issue
  • action: edit issue to change your custom field to {{issue.assignee.displayName}}

Once this works, copy the rule and change the trigger in the copy to check if the assignee changed.  That will cover the assign-later/reassign cases.

Thanks,
Bill

Suggest an answer