Automation of Create Task by Member and temporary Permission to delete Task

Christoph Schulz April 4, 2023

Hello,

i am trying to find a Way to give Members a temporary Permission via Automation to delete the Task they have created without using the Roles (Admins,Members,Watcher & Custom).

Accidently created Task or Notes, are getting out of Hand and i was thinking of making an Automation that when a Member starts the

Action - Create Task , if Member is Author (Creator) he/she will get an Entity Property for this Task, like a temporory Access/Permission, to delete it.

The Controlling and Mangament of these Tasks would take a lot of time otherwise, and with this Option everyone could edit their own Task.

Is this even possible ?

Kind regards Christoph

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Christoph Schulz April 13, 2023

Fixed it 

the Members wont need a Permission its much easier.

Workflow has a new Status Delete , it looks visualy like Done green which i disliked first but now it works.. I chained it behind Done and its only avaible than.

• Automation starts when the Task is "moved in the workflow" and changes Status from Done to Delete
  • if the Starter of the Event is equal Autor
  • the right side true, Action delete Task
  • the left side else, i've added a Dummy Loop if someone else tries it, Action move Task in the Workflow, back to Status Done.
1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2023

Hi @Christoph Schulz a, welcome to the Community.

unfortunately there isn't a means of setting permissions within Automation. IMO, issues should rarely be deleted rather opt for closing with a Resolution of duplicate maybe. You might seek to understand why these duplicates/unnecessary issues being created and try to address that if possible.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2023

So what would constitute the issues being not being a lot to control and manage within your process? It seems to me if you can automate moving them to resolved would do that. The trick is in identifying which issues should be closed and which left alone.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 4, 2023

This couldn't work - if you changed the permission scheme (which you can't with Automation), you would be letting all the users to delete any issue when enabled (unless your automation was adding and removing the individuals, which could get very complex very quickly)

A better option is to work with the workflow.  You can set properties on the workflows that change permissions dynamically - you could have, as you suggest, a "bin" status in the workflow, from which the assignee can delete issues (no delete for other people or other status).

However, delete in Jira is a bad bad idea.  It really means it, the issue is gone, and your only chance of any recovery is from the backups you should always take before deleting any issue!  (There are some apps that do undelete, but they can only work with issues deleted after you install the issues)

Another option might be to create a wastebin project - move unwanted issues into there, and your admins can run through it regularly and bulk-delete anything over your chosen safety retention period.

0 votes
Christoph Schulz April 4, 2023

Well.. that's unfortunate 

I've managed to instant delete a Task when its created.. Just looking for the smarter way to achieve the Goal of Members have control over their Task.

Moving the Tasks/issues to a custom option(to do, in progress, done) like a Bin in Windows could help in the Meantime, or should i create another User ? Is there an option that Task/Issues can have a time limit ?(dissapear after a period of Time, next month) 

Any ideas are welcome.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events