Automation in Jira Cloud - Release Creation Trigger

Paul Brown August 19, 2020

I’m trying to automate the creation of several issues when a release is created in the release hub.

This is working as expected.

However, I’m also trying to set the Fix Version in the automatically created issues to the release version i have just created. This isn’t working? 

The only option I seem to have in the automation rule is ‘Add Fix Version from Trigger Issue’ but the automation wasn’t triggered from an issue!?

Any ideas?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2020

Hi @Paul Brown  - The Fix Version field is not available to you for the set field value when creating the new issue?

screenshot.png

I am able to select the Fix Version - it is an available field for me>Screenshot 2020-08-19 at 15.49.26.pngI Am able to select the Fix Version - it is present for me?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2020

So, what is not working about it?

Hi John, I think the issue is that the Automation was triggered from a create version event and not an issue event, and the action is to 'Add Fix version from Trigger Issue' as this is not a trigger issue, then i'm guessing the fix version isn't known? Was wondering if there was any other way of adding the new version to the tickets it's creating?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 19, 2020

Wouldn't the version created in the Version created trigger be the trigger issue? 

I would just test that and see what happens with a Test release creation. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2020

Hi @Paul Brown 

Yes, and... to what John said: the newly created issue is the triggering issue.  So try that and see if it works.

Occasionally the newly created issue is not fully available at the time the trigger fires, and so copied fields do not always populate.  The work-around for that is to add an action to Re-fetch the issue immediately after the trigger; that will reload it before you use it as a copying source.

Best regards,

Bill

Paul Brown August 20, 2020

Hi @Bill Sheboy , @John Funk  - I've worked it out - i should have been using the {{version.name}} smart value and not the options in the drop down! All working now, thanks for the support.

Like # people like this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2020

Great; I am glad that is working for you!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events