Automation for linking new bugs to specific story

Kathryn Jenner May 11, 2023

I am trying to create an automation when a bug is raised and assigned to a specific person it links to a specific story.

When I try the automation tools the only options I have for linking to is either link to the trigger or most recent issue created. 

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2023

Hello @Kathryn Jenner 

You can enter a smart value in that field by clicking in the space that says Trigger issue and starting to type in the smart value. After completing the smart value entry you click on the Smart value '{{... text so that it will be entered into the field.

Screen Shot 2023-05-11 at 9.38.57 AM.png

Casey Gould May 11, 2023

I think I'm reading @Kathryn Jenner's question differently.

If bug is assigned to QA Person 1, then link the bug to "QA Person 1's Epic" or something like that.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2023

Yes, that is the same way I'm reading it.

We are missing information about how the rule is getting the value of the issue to which the trigger issue will be linked. It is possible that it is somehow retrieving that issue as part of the rule, in which case a smart value referencing that issue could be used.

Like Kelly Arrey likes this
Casey Gould May 11, 2023

That's where I'm not following your example answer. {{issue.key}} would give you the same issue you're triggering off, which OP said they didn't want.
If it's truly a fixed, specific issue for each assignee, then wouldn't the way to go be to put in that issue key, either through IF-ELSE or a lookup table. I think the confusion may be with the interface itself (suggesting an alternate answer).

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2023

My {{issue.key}} was just an example of a smart value, not necessarily the smart value that should be used in this rule. I was trying to point out that the action is not limited to just the two options listed, and a smart value could be used to specify a different issue (if the rule is constructed such that a smart value can be used to reference the target issue). I guess I should've provided more explanation.

Without additional information about the rule I could not provide a smart value that would work for that rule specifically.

If the issue per Assignee is a fixed value that can be hardcoded, then yes, and If-Else block could be used to look at the Assignee and then link the trigger issue to an explicit issue. In the same manner as adding a smart value, you can click into the space that says Trigger Issue and start typing the issue key for the target issue.

Screen Shot 2023-05-11 at 10.39.35 AM.png

Like Kelly Arrey likes this
Kathryn Jenner May 15, 2023

Thank you.

0 votes
Casey Gould May 11, 2023

I believe you're trying to link to a specific issue (ex: ABC-123).

The UI here isn't super clear. When you initially open that dropdown, it'll only show you "Trigger Issue" and "Most recently created" as you've seen. What isn't immediately obvious is that if you click into that box and start typing a key (ex: ABC-123), there will then become an option to link to that specific issue.

LinkIssue.png

Kathryn Jenner May 15, 2023

Thank you. This was the issue!

Like Casey Gould likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS