Automation for Jira Smart Values in Sub-Task Summary

Blair Chisholm January 15, 2019

I have an Automation for Jira rule set up to create sub-tasks for a specific type of issue. I would like to include the name of the epic and parent task in the name of the sub-task so that the person it is assigned to know what they are working on at a a glance. For example, if there is an epic "Website" with a task "Home Page" and a sub-task "Wireframe" that is assigned to a designer, I want the summary of the sub-task to be "Website Home Page Wireframe." I have tried the following in the summary field:

• {{issue.parent.epic.summary}} {{issue.parent.summary}} Task
  • {{parent.epic.summary}} {{parent.summary}} Task

In both cases the summary is just set to "Task."  Is it not possible to use smart values in the summary or am I referencing the wrong values?

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2019

Hello Blair,

The smart values you used on your Automation rule has properly worked for me - It properly added the Epic and Story summaries to the sub-task. Here's the rule I executed:

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 18.12.21.png

That being said, I believe that something might be blocking your Automation rule. Please, check the Audit Log of your automation and check if it returns any errors.

Additionally, if the Epics and Stories are on different projects, make sure you configured your rule globally to work cross projects.

We will be waiting for your answer.

Blair Chisholm January 15, 2019

Thank you for this! Originally I was trying to set the summary in the same step as creating the sub-task, but having a separate rule also works for what I need.

Like # people like this
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2019

You are welcome, Blair!

Have a nice day!

Like Jurica Petricevic likes this
cuong_luong December 9, 2020

@Blair Chisholm I have the same desire to auto-create sub-task after I had created a story. I found the reason why it doesn't work if we put in 1 automation rule

While creating the subtask into the parent issue, Jira cannot get this param {{issue.parent.summary}} Jira can only work once the subtask is created.

Telmo Gomes February 20, 2021

Was having the same trouble and I manage to solve it using a "Re-fetch issue data" before the subtasks creation. That way it can get the right parent summary adding some info to distinguished both.

In my case when a TASK is created, JIRA creates 2 subtasks automatically, called TASK_1 and TASK_2 

Like # people like this
1 vote
Marc Tardif May 31, 2019

If you want to create an Issue (i.e. Enhancement) with automated subtask creation where the subtask's summary includes the parent's summary, you will have to first create the issue, then create the subtask and rename it separatly. It seems Jira canoot do it in the creation process.

2019-05-31_11-09-27.jpg 

In this example, for an enhancement in this projet, a new subtask "Conduct Meeting" will created with "Meeting" as summary. Then this subtask will have its sumary renamed to "Meeting: {{issue.parent.summary}}".

I suggest you add a condition to make sure you are not renaming another subtask that may be present when creating several ones in the same project automation.

Gábor Bibor June 9, 2020

Thank you, that was the trick.

0 votes
Atif Babary December 10, 2021

I had the same issue and the edit has to happen 'after' the subtask are created. I was able to achieve this with the following flow:

flow.JPG

0 votes
Sruthi Vijayakumar November 8, 2019

How can i make this work for JIRA next gen project. I would like to append the Epic name to the Tasks under. Tried using the same smart values as above and it doesnt work. Please help. Thanks.

Dave Fey April 14, 2021

I have the same request.  Append the Epic name as part of the Issue creation process.  Anyone have some ideas for next gen project?

Suggest an answer