Automation for Jira - Rule to convert a label in uppercase adds a comma

Gerardo Dalena February 15, 2021

Hello,

we have integrated a rule in Automation for Jira to converts the strings of the label in uppercase. This is the rule:

Trigger: when value change for customfield_10063 (it's a label field)

Rule: edit customfield_10063 with this: {{issue.fields.customfield_10063.toUpperCase()}}

The first time the rule is triggered it works fine. From the second time onward, it just add to any label a comma. So, for example:

1. type the word "Hello" in the custom field, it works ok.
  2. add the word "Hi" in the custom field, this appears as "HELLO, HI"
  3. add the word "Bye", this appears as "HELLO,, HI,, BYE"
  4. add the word "Farewell", this appears as "HELLO,,, HI,,, BYE,,, FAREWELL"

This just goes on every time the rule has been triggered. These labels with the comma replaces those without it, ad they appears into the extractions, which is very annoying.

Am I missing somethinf here? Maybe the syntax for the custom field is not complete?

Thanks!

3 answers

1 vote
Steven Schouppe
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2022

Hi @Gerardo Dalena 

I'm using following config in my automation rule to force a custom field ("External recipient") to become uppercase.

uppercase.PNG

0 votes
Alex Ziegltrum July 31, 2023

Hi @Gerardo Dalena @Steven Schouppe @John Funk

are there news, if the topic from Gerardo is a bug or not?

I just tried this in my automation (cloud) - and it doesn't work there at all.

@Gerardo Dalena Are you using DC by any chance? Any other idea how to convert a string to a STRING?

Attached, how my rule looks like. The field is not converted, see audit log.

2023-07-31 15_11_09-Automation - Jira und 5 weitere Seiten - Geschäftlich – Microsoft​ Edge.png2023-07-31 15_11_27-Automation - Jira und 5 weitere Seiten - Geschäftlich – Microsoft​ Edge.png

Thanks for any feedback.

Cheers, Alex

Alex Ziegltrum July 31, 2023

Never mind 🤷‍♂️😄

I found the reason, why I thought, it does not work in my rule.

I had to add a "re-fetch issue data" step after editing the field. After that, the content is indeed uppercase.

2023-07-31 15_44_00-Automation - Jira und 4 weitere Seiten - Geschäftlich – Microsoft​ Edge.png

2023-07-31 15_44_21-Automation - Jira und 4 weitere Seiten - Geschäftlich – Microsoft​ Edge.png

Cheers, Alex

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2021

Hi Gerardo - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

That seems like a bug to me. Can you share a screenshot of the entire rule? 

I would go ahead and submit a support ticket to Atlassian.

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Hello John,

thanks for quick reply.

I'm new to the Jira world, so I thought to have a check with the Community just to exclude any potential mistake from my side (otherwise this would have been the third reported bug in a month...).

These are the screenshot from the rule:

1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG4.png

Thank you very much.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 15, 2021

Sure - that is the proper route to go with Community first.  :-)

I would go ahead with the support ticket as it sure looks like a but to me. 

Be sure to post back here with the resolution or what you hear from support so we can close this one out at the time. 

Thank you very much. I'm going to raise a P4 ticket and see what happens, keep you all updated.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 5, 2023

Hi @Gerardo Dalena  - Any update?

Gerardo Dalena August 30, 2023

Hi @John Funk ,

Unfortunately it has been a long time since we met this issue and we lost track of this request :(

Atlassian suggested to use another smart value function to remove the extra comma (something like upper.remove(,) but I'm not sure). However, this function generate the following error in automation: "The label 'JIRA AUTOMATION' can't contain spaces". After more evaluation from Jira staff, it was concluded that Jira found empty spaces after this manipulation ad it has now opened the public bug AUTO-328.

We have moved on, not using the uppercase for the label.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events