Automation for Jira Cloud - Manual Trigger by project role instead of group

Garrett McCreery
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2020

Looking for a way to use project role rather than a group to grant access to manually trigger automation on an issue. Seem weird that we would have to create a group at the Atlassian level to accomplish this.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 10, 2020

Hello @Garrett McCreery

Thank you for reaching out.

We completely understand the goal to use Project roles instead of groups in the manual trigger of Automation rules. In fact, It is not possible to use project roles today because the manual trigger functionality was initially configured to work in both Projects and Global rules, so project roles would not be applicable for Global rules.

That being said, we have the following feature request to allow the restriction of manual triggers using Project roles for project-specific rules:

Restrict manual rules by Role 

Please, take a look at the feature request above to get any updates about its implementation.

Let us know if you have any questions.

mb March 15, 2024

Hello Petter, unfortunately I cannot access the feature request. Could you please let me know which smart value can be used?

I created roles, e.g. "Project Members".

But I cannot find documentation for something like:

{{issue.project.role."Project Members".emailAddress}}

Here https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-issues/ only

{{issue.project}}

is mentioned.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events