Automation fails because "Story point estimation" field is locked

Jörg Steinhauer March 31, 2023

Hello,

I'm trying to run automation to move data from a custom field (type text containing a number) to "Story points estimation".

This is my automation settings:

Screenshot at 2023-03-31 10-07-44.png

Screenshot at 2023-03-31 10-08-09.png

However, audit log shows following error:

Screenshot at 2023-03-31 10-08-57.png

The "Story point estimation" field is part of the project and screen, but I see a "locked" label next to the field in the "Custom fields" overview - it says "This configuration item is locked by Jira or one of its plugins. You are not allowed to alter its configuration."

Screenshot at 2023-03-31 11-16-01.png

As you can see, this automation move data only for fields with value 1. But is there a way to move data from all custom fields, regardless of the value?

The Gitlab weight (Text) field can contain 1,2,3,5,8 and 13 as values and I would rather set up only one automation instead of 6.

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2023

Hi @Jörg Steinhauer 

By chance does your project have 2 fields "Story points" and "Story point estimation" that is causing a confusion?

The automation is editing the story points field and the story point estimation field

No, actually there is only one "Story points" field.

This are all the fields I have in my screen:

Screenshot at 2023-03-31 11-14-27.png

Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2023

In your edit issue action screenshot, you are using "Story points" . Update that to "Story point estimate" and that should fix the error :) 

Well, thats the point. There is not "Story points estimate" :/

Screenshot at 2023-03-31 12-26-10.png

Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 31, 2023

Ah ok.. Like it says there, not all fields are supported. Try using the advanced section with json as input 

Ok, I had a quick look at it, but don't understand what I should do there. Do you maybe have an example?

Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 31, 2023

sure, here is an example of using additional fields via json

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 14.20.37.png

Thanks, looks quite simple, but the automation doesn't trigger now. Its even not showing any errors, only "Config change":

Screenshot at 2023-03-31 15-06-14.png

----------------------------------

I tried this:

Screenshot at 2023-03-31 15-04-52.png

And this as well:

Screenshot at 2023-03-31 15-05-20.png

Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 31, 2023

hmm.. If the rule is not triggered, could you look at the trigger condition? was there any changes there? Is the jql valid?

try it as a manual trigger and validate?

Jörg Steinhauer April 3, 2023

The rule is actually valid, 1 issue found. And no, there were no changes during the whole time.

Screenshot at 2023-04-03 10-32-10.png

What exactly do you mean with "try it as a manual trigger and validate"?

Jörg Steinhauer April 3, 2023

The Email confirmation also says, its because the field is locked.

Screenshot at 2023-04-03 10-35-07.png

Jörg Steinhauer April 5, 2023

@Fazila Ashrafdo you have any other ideas? :-)

Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2023

Hi @Jörg Steinhauer 

Can you share the email confirmation message that says that this automation fails due to field lock?

Locked field would mean that the configurations of the field cannot be changed but the field itself should be editable. I am surprised that the automation says that field cannot be edited due to the lock.

Manual trigger -> https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/test-a-jira-automation-rule-using-the-manual-trigger/ 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events