Automation: clone to dynamic project

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2023

I've done a ton of cloning to other projects via automation, but it's always specified in the rule which project to clone into.

I now have a project that has a Project Picker field type on the bug screen, to allow a user to choose a destination project. I want to use the value of that field in my automation rule to determine which project to clone into, but the Project field in the clone step doesn't want to accept smart values.

I can type the smart value for the field into the Project field in the rule, but as soon as I move out of that field, it immediately changes back to Same Project.

Is this possible? Or is there another way to do this? (I've tried both Clone and Create Issue actions; same result.)

2023-03-24 14_38_17-Mouse Highlight Overlay.png

2023-03-24 14_38_34-Mouse Highlight Overlay.png

3 answers

1 vote
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2023

Hi @Esther Strom - You need to use the project ID (e.g. 12345) to set the Project in the Clone/Create Issue actions.  There are two ways you can handle this:

1. If you're using JSM premium you have Assets.  You could create an object type for projects with an attribute for Project ID.  Then your project picker can use a custom asset field.  This method is extra helpful because you can automate populating new projects and you can have different attributes that use as flags for when/when not to make projects available to the picker.  
  2. Use cascade select custom field with the parent value being the project name and the child value as the project id.  Then you can extract the project ID for your clone action
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2023

Hi, Marc. Thanks for the response. We are not using JSM Premium, so no Assets. And cascading fields seems a bit more than we need, plus we'd still need to hard-code all the project IDs (unless you have another way of getting that info.)

I logged the value of {{issue.Destination Project}} and am hoping there's a way to get the project ID from this; just need to figure out how to parse it.

0 votes
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2023

Referring to the field by its custom ID is actually all I needed to do to get the value:

{{issue.customfield_10808.id}}
0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2023

Hello @Esther Strom 

You need to click on the gray highlighted area that says Smart value '{{issue.Project Picker}}' to push the smart value into the field.

Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 1.28.53 PM.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events