Automation and smart values

Fred June 7, 2021

I have an automation that checks what tickets were in To Do on a specific date. 

Smart value documentation indicates I should be able to use the code below to list the tickets and summarize the points. It successfully sends a message to slack, though none of the smart values come through. What am I missing?

{{#lookupIssues}}

* {{key}} - {{Story Points}}

{{/}}

To Do points - {{lookupIssues.Story Points.sum}}

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2021

Hi @Fred 

To use that smart value, you first use the Lookup Issues action with some JQL.  Did you include that in your rule first?

If so, something else is up.  Please post an image of your rule and an example execution from the audit log so the community can offer ideas.  Thanks!

Best regards,

Bill

0 votes
Fred June 8, 2021

I'm seeing mixed feedback in the forums, are we able to include custom fields in this execution? I've tried all the variations I can think of, and they come back blank.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2021

Nope, not yet for Lookup Issues.  Here is the suggestion to add it...and...it has moved to the dreaded status of "Future Consideration"  ;^)

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-75018

As you are using the Cloud version of Jira, the automation has a handy action Create Variable.  So...one work-around for this Lookup Issues limitation is a complicated call to the REST API for JQL with a web request, and regular expressions and text functions to dynamically build your message content.

Fred June 8, 2021

Okay, that's what I thought. Thanks!

0 votes
Fred June 7, 2021

That worked! I added the action - lookup, and success. Thanks guys!

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2021

Awesome!  I am glad that helped.

Suggest an answer