Automation and Component Changes

Paul D'urso December 10, 2021

Hi,

I've recently created a new Automation for Components, to ensure all newly created issues have the same Component as the Epic.

However, I want to create a rule that changes all issues that have already been created and create a rule that amends the component, if the Epic Component is changed.

So.

1. For past created issues, amend the Component on the issues and Subtasks to match the Epic.

2. For Components amended on the Epic, to change all the Components on Issues and subtasks to match the Epic.

Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2021

Hi @Paul D'urso 

For your case #2, you could do that by making one or two rules for the updates, triggered on the epic's component changing.  Using one rule could be a bit complicated, so the alternative is two rules: one that updates stories when the epic changes, and one that updates subtasks when a story changes.  For the story -> subtask update, you will need to enable the option "Allow Rule Trigger" in the details so one rule triggers the other one.

For your case #1, once you have your rules all defined for case #2, you can now use a scheduled trigger rule on JQL to update the issues you want to change.  Copy your epic -> story rule and change the trigger from "component field changed" to scheduled, adding your JQL.  Rules have a processing limit of 100 issues, so keep this rule enabled on the schedule (say, once per hour) and it will process in chunks until you are caught up.  You may want to consider only doing the "to do" and "in progress" issues, ignoring any "done" ones.

Kind regards,
Bill

Paul D'urso December 13, 2021

Thanks Bill, I'm taking a look and will let you know how I get on.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer