Automation - When issue created, link created issue to a specific issue key

Peter McGrane December 5, 2021

I am trying to create an automation where when a new issue is created and has a specific filter met, then this new issue links to a specific issue key (in this case IRT-4566 is the issue I want to relate to). I've included a screenshot of what my automation looks like right now, but it is not working when I test this automation. Can someone advise if my syntax is wrong or if there is a different way to automatically have a new issue link to a current issue? 

010AE915-34AF-4B02-80EB-A72F1F025131.jpeg

2 answers

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2021

Hi @Peter McGrane and welcome to the community!

From the looks of it, your rule seems fine and pretty straight forward. Apart from what @Fabian Lim say, which would be of great help to take a look at the audit logs, you may want to check if:

• Issue linking is enabled
  • If you have link issues permissions in both projects

Another question which may be irrelevant. You wish to always link newly created issue to that specific issue (IRT-4566), if a specific condition is met? This is what you are trying to achieve? 

Peter McGrane December 6, 2021

Thanks for the quick response:

1. correct, I am trying to always link to IRT-4566 when this filter condition is met. Once I get this rule working, I plan to set up automations for the other options under the "Observed Growth Issues" field. If there is a way to do this all in one rule by associating the different "Observed Growth Issues" options with issues somewhere else, that would be fantastic. 

2. I am able to link issues manually to other issues one-by-one. Is this enough to know that issue linking is enabled, or is linking issues in automation a different project setting than being able to do some manually? 

3. This automation is within the same project (IRT) as the issues, so I am only operating within a single project here. 

Thank you for your help! 

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2021

Ηι @Peter McGrane ,

Yes, since you are able to link issues, then issue linking is enabled and you have the permissions as well.

Concerning the audio log, from what I see is that the rule worked just fine. It's just the issue didn't meet the proper condition. So my question is, when exactly you enter this value of "Commitment buy out.... "? Is this value entered on the create screen of the issue? Is this value is entered via a workflow PF? Or at a later stage?

Peter McGrane December 13, 2021

Ended up being that legacy automation is needed for this because the selection criteria is a part of a dynamic field that populates dependent on another selection from a static field on the form. 

Thanks for your help! If there is a known way or it is being worked on that regular automations can work for dynamic field selections instead of having do to a legacy automation which waits for an issue to be submitted for 1 minute and then runs the rule, that would be very helpful! This work around works for now though. 

0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2021

Hi @Peter McGrane

Welcome to the community!

I would check what the audit log says. Can you share the logs

Also, is the project where you are running the automation the same as IRT?  If not, you need to ensure you set it as a global rule with multiple projects.

Regards

Peter McGrane December 6, 2021

Thanks for the quick response! 
1. The project where I am running this automation is also IRT. 
2. From the audit log, it looks like the issues I am submitting that I think should be meeting the filter condition are not doing so, as the audit log is showing "NO ACTIONS PERFORMED" for all issues and saying "the issue did not match the condition". (audit log screenshot attached). 

I do not understand why the issues I am expecting to meet this automation's condition are not doing so. Attached is a screenshot of the filter condition, and an example of an issue I have submitted that is not meeting the condition. 568062C3-3659-40BD-AA21-0ADD08991A50.jpegFF6A976D-BCFF-4F98-A7F3-0FDB8AA6F0E4.jpeg891D0919-9055-49D0-B283-99E7D47B4E53_4_5005_c.jpeg

Suggest an answer