Automation: When a task is near due - send email reminder

Cyril James April 20, 2023

Hello Guys, 

I have this set up to generate an email 3 days prior to due date, sending to the person assigned a story.

If I run it every day, does it keep sending emails 3 days, 2 days, 1 day prior.

What do you recommend.  Thank you

2 answers

0 votes
Stephen Wrathall
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 21, 2023

Hi @Cyril James ,

I assume you're referring to our newly released template?

newTemplate.png

Then yes, let me clarify. With it's default settings, it is scheduled to run every day. Each day that it runs, it will email the assignee when the task is due 3 days from now. They won't get an email with 2 days left, or 1 day left etc, unless you duplicated the rule, and changed e.g:

numberOfDaysBeforeDueInclusion

to a value of 2.

Update: It will send emails daily from that point on by default. See replied answer below if you want to change that.

00.png

Regards,

Stephen

Cyril James April 24, 2023

Thank you Stephen.  So I see the Scheduled Rule Options are wide open to select any frequency, by hours minutes days weeks months.  My goal is to give my team a gentle reminder before due dates of stories.  

Are you saying set the rule to run every day and it should only send an email once.  How does it know when the rule runs the next day, when it sees number of days before due = 2 for example.

Stephen Wrathall
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 25, 2023

Hi @Cyril James

My apologies, I misread the template rule. By default, users will get an email for a nearly-due issue 3 days before, then 2 days before, then 1 day before, and so on, until they resolve the issue, or revise the due date.

The default JQL for that template in the first Lookup Issues is:

duedate <= endOfDay({{numberOfDaysBeforeDueInclusion}}) AND statusCategory != done AND assignee != empty

However, if you only want it to send once per Jira ticket, 3 days before it's due, then simply change that JQL to:

duedate = endOfDay({{numberOfDaysBeforeDueInclusion}}) AND statusCategory != done AND assignee != empty

i.e. change the less that or equal to "<=", to just equal to "=".

That way, the rule will run daily, and only email users if the issue is due in 3 days from now. If it's due in 4+ days, or less than 2 days, then no emails will be sent.

I hope this helps clarify its behaviour.

Regards,
Stephen

Cyril James April 26, 2023

Thank you!  Let me try this!

Cyril James April 26, 2023

@Stephen Wrathall You only want me to remove the < from the first lookup issue but not the second THEN:Lookup Issues.

Stephen Wrathall
Atlassian Team
April 26, 2023

Hi @Cyril James

It will work either way, because it's the first lookup issue that narrows down to just the ones 3 days away. But feel free to update the 2nd one too, to make it more consistent.

Steve

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2023

Hi @Cyril James 

What did the team say when you asked them this question?  Getting their input seems a good way to learn their threshold for irritation. 

Another alternative is a pull versus push method of notification: use card colors on your board to highlight cards as they become closer to the due dates.

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer