Automation Unknown fields set during create

Jason May 14, 2021

I have an automation that runs and creates a few tasks after an epic is created and links them to the epic. The tasks generate fine, but I get errors in the audit log after each task creating saying:

Create Issue

Issues created successfully

EDC-520

Unknown fields set during create, they may be unavailable for the project/type. Check your custom field configuration.

Fields ignored -Parent (parent)

I have a few custom task and subtask types that I'm using, and I can't figure out why parent is unavailable (as far as I know, those are required fields by JIRA)

5 answers

0 votes
Justin Berneburg July 7, 2021

Were you ever able to figure this out? I'm experiencing the same issue @Jason 

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2021

Hey Jason,

Can you post the entire rule? Are you creating the new issue under a Branch? Because if so, I am getting the same error on the Epic Link field. 

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2021

Do you have multiple fields with the same name? The few times I have run into this issue I solved it by using the advanced option to set field values and used the custom field ID instead of the name, since the name is not unique.

0 votes
Stooz The Stoozer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2021

You can't create a task (aka not a sub task) with a parent, as it has no parent. 

Epics are not parents they are related/linked issues

You might need to have 2 automations, one for the task linked to the epic , then another to make subtasks off this new task (automation can fire other automations)

Jason May 14, 2021

This is actually exactly what I am doing. I have one automation that just creates a task on the epic, and then another automation that creates sub tasks on the created task if it has a certain label that I'm using to know when to create the subtasks. However, the errors show up after creating the task on the epic. I posted a picture under @Trudy Claspill 's thread. of what I do to create the task and relate it to the epic.

Stooz The Stoozer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2021

Have a look at the create screen for this type of task - it might be the "parent" field is included on that but not actually valid. the automation will attempt to validate against the create screens options I think?

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 14, 2021

Are you working with a rule for a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project?

The field for denoting the Epic "parent" of a Task may be different than the field denoting the Task "parent" of a Subtask.

In Company Managed projects "Epic Link" is used to record the "parent" Epic for a Task rather than the "Parent" field.

In Team Managed projects the "Parent" field is used to for both Subtasks and Tasks to record their parent issue, regardless of whether that is an Epic or a Task.

Jason May 14, 2021

This is being run in a Company Managed project. I'm generating tasks on the epic, however I don't ever set the parent field, just the epic link (set to the trigger issue which in this case is the epic)Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 8.27.17 AM.png

Suggest an answer