Automation Task to Epic

Carsten Wiemer June 1, 2021

2021-06-01_14h45_00.png2021-06-01_15h07_33.png

(edit: current setup)

Hi Team,

I would like to get my roadmap automated. I have already created a rule that creates an epic from a task. Unfortunately, the details are not provided.

Since I need to add the details AFTER creating a task (meanwhile the epic was already created), the details are not mentioned in the epic. Therefore, I can't see the start and end date, for example, and I have to manage this action manually. I have tried many options but to no avail. If someone could help, that would be great.

best regards

Carsten

1 answer

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2021

Hi @Carsten Wiemer  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I am unclear what you are asking...perhaps you could answer some follow-up questions to help the community give you suggestions.

• Roadmaps are driven by the Start Date and Due Date fields of the epics
  • You note when a Task is created, you then also create an epic, adding more details later
  • When you create the epic, what is the source of the Start Date and Due Date?  If they are available from the Task's information somehow, why not just set them when creating the epic?
  • If those dates are instead manually entered later, what is the problem you are trying to solve?

Best regards,

Bill

Carsten Wiemer June 2, 2021

Hi Bill, thanks for the warm welcome.

the Epics should be created automatically from the tasks.
At the moment, as described above, I have created a workflow that creates an Epic from a Task and thus transfers it to the Roadmap. However, the core data is then missing in the Epic, as this is generated immediately when the task is created.
Thus, I have to enter the data manually.

current workflow:
Step 1: I create a task
Step 2: the task generates an Epic by a rule - WITHOUT the core data (see second screenshot).

Intentional workflow:
Step 1: I create a task
Step 2: the task generates an Epic by a rule (WITH all contents from the task, like start and end date, owner etc.).

I already tried to work with updating the tasks and also tried to generate other rules.

I would like to respond directly to your points once again

• Roadmaps are driven by the Start Date and Due Date fields of the epics
    • I know how this works
  • You note when a Task is created, you then also create an epic, adding more details later
    • I do not create an epic manually  - it's generated automatically by a rule
  • When you create the epic, what is the source of the Start Date and Due Date?  If they are available from the Task's information somehow, why not just set them when creating the epic?
    • the source should be the dates from the task which created the epic
  • If those dates are instead manually entered later, what is the problem you are trying to solve?
    • if I change dates in the task, the change should be also shown in the epic. Otherwise I would have different values. So basic idea would be: if something changes in the task --> update epic

I hope I made myself a little bit more clear :D

best regards

Carsten 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2021

Hi Carsten,

Thanks for that information.  You describe using an automation rule to detect the task creation, and the task contains the data you need to set the epic dates, so you could set those dates when the epic is created by the rule.  Have you tried this yet?

Also I wonder: you note keeping the task and epic dates in synch after they are created, implying there is a 1-1 relationship between tasks and epics.  If that is accurate, why not just use epics and ignore the tasks?

Best regards,

Bill

Like Carsten Wiemer likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events