Automation - Set Resolution when Deployed to Production

Jacob Goldman May 10, 2023

I am trying to create an automation rule that, when a story/task is deployed to production, sets the status to done and the resolution to "deployed to production.

Our Workflow:

STORY/TASK: TO DO --> IN PROGRESS --> IN TESTING --> VERIFIED --> DONE

The ticket moves successfully through our workflow through the triggers in the workflow.

But when it gets set to DONE, it is not setting the resolution, and I get the error of "Unknown fields set during transition. Field may not be on the transition screen. Fields ignored - Resolution (resolution)"

But as you can see from the screenshot, I can manually set the resolution to "Deployed to Production."

I have tried everything and I can't figure this out.

Screenshot 2023-05-10 at 6.49.49 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-05-10 at 6.45.44 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-05-10 at 6.47.45 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-05-10 at 6.40.10 PM.png

1 answer

1 vote
Karim ABO HASHISH
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2023

hi @Jacob Goldman 

Try to associate a resolution screen (a screen with the resolution field) to the Done transition and it should resolve the issue.

Cheers,

Karim

Jacob Goldman May 10, 2023

@Karim ABO HASHISH  - I've tried! I am using a slightly modified version of the default scrum ticket with the resolution field added. And this screen is associated to the final transition. I tried this to see if it would work. I don't like having the same screen for every state,Screenshot 2023-05-10 at 10.40.24 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-05-10 at 10.46.14 PM.png but I am trying to remove variables.

Karim ABO HASHISH
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2023

hi @Jacob Goldman 

Simply create a new screen with one field (Resolution) and add it to the transition.

Let me know how it went for you

Cheers,

Karim

Like Kelly Arrey likes this
Jacob Goldman May 11, 2023

@Karim ABO HASHISH - but the resolution field is there already. Why is another screen needed?

Karim ABO HASHISH
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2023

hi @Jacob Goldman 

• The "Resolution" field is an important feature in Jira. It specifies the reason an issue is closed and removes the need of having multiple statuses with the purpose of stating why the issue is closed,

• Ideally and in common implementations, there are 3 Standard screens for Create/View/Edit operations within your project.

• As a best practice, Resolution field should not be added to the project standard screens (except for view screen). why? as There are many native functionalities in Jira that depend on the "Resolution" field.

• Keeping the "Resolution" field working according to the best practices is crucial for your team to leverage Jira on exploring your company's potential.

• The best practice in your case is to create a new screen with the resolution field on it, then map this screen to the transition to the "Done" status. You should also remove the resolution field from your project create and edit screens.

For more information about best practices for using resolution field, please refer to below link

Best practices on using the "Resolution" field

hope that would help demystifying the proposed practices.

Good Luck and let me know if further elaboration or assistance is needed.

Cheers,

Karim

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events