Automation Rules disappeared

Artem Fomin May 14, 2021

Has anyone encountered an issue where Automation Rules would disappear from the Cloud Site? Nothing in the Audit Log (for Automation or for Add-ons). A whole bunch of rules just gone.

https://status.automationforjira.com/ shows a Scheduled DB Maintenance on May 9th (Sunday)

If I understand correctly, some of the data resides outside of our cloud site, somewhere on automationforjira.com. Is it possible that something happened on their side?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2021

I strongly suggest you open a support case directly with Atlassian about that.

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Artem Fomin May 14, 2021

We did - haven't gotten anywhere so far. I would like to see if anyone else has run into the same issue.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2021

Hi @Artem Fomin  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I have not seen rules disappear permanently/been deleted mysteriously before in our cloud instance.  Some of our users have been confused by the label filtering of rules hiding things.  And, I have seen the rule list get "stuck" so it didn't paint the list when performance was slow for Jira Cloud.

Are these project-scope rules or global/multi-project rules?

Have you checked with any assigned admins for the impacted scopes?

Are you consistently backing up your cloud instance?  If so, perhaps check if the rules are still available for restoration.

Best regards,

Bill

Artem Fomin May 14, 2021

Thank you Bill. I did my homework before reaching out to Support and to the Community.

Our Prod site has several hundred rules that were created over the course of 12+ months. Our test site was created by importing a snapshot of Prod a couple of months ago. We've ran a UAT on our test site last week, focusing specifically on the Automation rules. They were there, now they are not. No trace of them.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2021

Yikes, and sorry to hear that.  I hope support can find something for you.

My site admin and I did some tests, and found that when deleted by a person, the audit log continued to show rules removed by a person.  (I worried that like issues, deleted rules from cloud would vanish all traces.)  As there is no other way to delete rules yet, something's gotta be up on the Atlassian side of this symptom.

If you have the prior prod snapshot, can you restore it to a free instance, export the rules, and re-import them?

And FYI to save you some diagnostic time: we export our logs using webhooks to review them in SumoLogic, and they do not show anything about rules changes.  So if you are doing something similar for logging it may not help uncover the deletes either.

Artem Fomin May 14, 2021

The problem is in a test environment (separate cloud site that we are paying for) where we were testing out new rules. So, we've lost the new rules, the old ones, and we'll now have to refresh the data, which sucks.

More importantly, we need to understand what happened here. If something like this happens on Prod, the impact will be devastating.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2021

Please post back what you learn from support.  Thanks!

Artem Fomin May 21, 2021

From Support:

"With regards to why the rules were no longer available seems to be related to [cloud site] being disabled and re-enabled. The rules that the devs were able to find are associated with the disabled JIRA instance, which seems to indicate that [cloud site] was disabled and then re-enabled when performing the migration of the production data in this migration support case."

We are following up to see who/when disabled this cloud site, but it looks like Atlassian Dev folks were able to identify the root cause.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 21, 2021

Thanks; that is helpful information as I do not have much experience disabling a site. Good to know that some content can be dropped prior to re-enable.

Ross D Webster-Salter March 15, 2023

It seems that we have the same case when moving between a test environment and production. Can only recommend that you export your rules as an JSON file. Would be great if we were pre-warned 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events