Automation Rules - Recursive Issue Key

Sebastian Braun April 18, 2023

Hi all,

I´m currently creating a Jira automation which should run as follows:

• issue transition triggers the automation
  • automation creates new ticket
  • customer is informed within original ticket about the new ticket
    • this comment should include the new ticket id

Do you know if it´s possible to implement such a recursive request with standard tools? Smart value {{issue.key}} just returns the original id.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Sebastian Braun

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2023

Hello @Sebastian Braun 

Yes, this type of automation is possible.

Have you tried to construct the automation? Please show us what you have so far.

That basic structure would be:

TRIGGER: Issue Transitioned
ACTION: Create Issue
ACTION: Comment on issue
Use the smart value {{createdIssue}} to access the properties of the last issue created in the rule.

Reference document: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-issues/

Sebastian Braun April 19, 2023

Hi Trudy,

thanks a lot for your quick reply!

Indeed, {{createdIssue}} was the solution, I was searching for.

There is still a little problem: Since the comment is posted externally (in customer portal), the system adds the issue link:

2023-04-19 10_31_29-Window.png

This is problematic since customers cannot access that link since it reference to the internal Jira.

Do you know a way just to add the issue id without the link?

Best regards

Sebastian

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2023

I have not figured out how to do that.

I suggest you post that as a separate question to get the rest of the community members' inputs.

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2023

Hi @Sebastian Braun @Trudy Claspill , I haven't tried it myself, but would {{createdIssue.key}} do it? The documentation seems to state that it would work.

HTH, 

Kel

Sebastian Braun April 25, 2023

Hi Kelly,

indeed, it worked also with {{createdIssue.key}}, but only for internal issues since the link will refer to the Jira internal view, which is only accessible with a Jira licence.

My intention was to solve it for external (=customer) comments, which needs to be reflected in Jira Service Management portal.

Therefore, you need a specif smart.value which we figured out in seperate ticket, see: Solved: Issue Link in Customer Portal not useable for Cust... (atlassian.com).

BR Sebastian

Like Kelly Arrey likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events